UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2012, 9:57 pm   #1
Gavcr999
Retired Dormant Member

Default GPO 300 type telephone. What wattage 3.3k resistor?

Hi,

Could anyone advise which wattage 3.3k resistors are required for conversion of GPO 300 series phones?

I've tried using .25W but they don't seem to work as it still sets off the other phones in the house ringing when dialling out.

Many thanks.
Old 10th May 2012, 10:24 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: gpo 300 - which wattage 3.3k resistor?

0.25W should be fine, though 0.5 or 1W are a bit bigger and easier to handle if nothing else.

The problem you describe, "bell tinkle", is most likely caused by using individual microfilters at each phone. Is this how yours are wired?

Nick.
Old 10th May 2012, 10:39 pm   #3
Gavcr999
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
The problem you describe, "bell tinkle", is most likely caused by using individual microfilters at each phone. Is this how yours are wired?

Nick.
Yes I have individual microfilters on each phone. If the microfilter on this phone is removed the line is very noisy. What's the best way to use microfilters with multiple phones?
Old 10th May 2012, 10:46 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Good question!

The best option is to use a special filter that replaces the bottom half of your master socket, which has two separate outputs: one to go to your router, and another to go to all your phones. This way, the blue wires in the phones' line cords will all be connected to one another, rather than to their own individual ringing capacitor, thus (hopefully) eliminating bell tinkle.

This one is the best IMHO: http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtespec.php

Nick.
Old 10th May 2012, 10:46 pm   #5
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

You need to have one microfilter (preferably a faceplate splitter on the master socket) with all the phones downstream of that and have 3-wire wiring between all the phones.
Old 10th May 2012, 11:01 pm   #6
Gavcr999
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks for your answers, I'll give that a try.
Gavin
Old 10th May 2012, 11:29 pm   #7
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: GPO 300 type telephone. What wattage 3.3k resistor?

It works very well on my system at home - lots of 706 phones all on sockets fed from the special faceplate fitted to the master socket - assuming of course you do have the newer "NTE 5" master socket - the one that is as large as a single gang socket or lightswitch. The only point to remember here is that the broadband modem/router can ONLY plug into this special faceplate and won't work on any of the extensions. Not a problem if you are wireless or use the master socket anyway...

The 706 phones all have 3K resistors in series with the bell and 1/4 watt works fine. Broadband works fine as well.

Robert
Old 11th May 2012, 6:48 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyball View Post
The only point to remember here is that the broadband modem/router can ONLY plug into this special faceplate and won't work on any of the extensions.
Yes, but note that the one I posted a link to has IDC terminals for the router connection too, so you can run a cable from it to a dedicated router socket in a more convenient location if you want.

Nick
Old 11th May 2012, 9:46 pm   #9
bobbyball
Octode

That's fair enough, none of the ones I have seen have this facility...

Robert
Old 11th May 2012, 11:26 pm   #10
julie_m
Dekatron

I got mine from clarity.it. No connection with the company, just a satisfied customer.

I plugged my ADSL router straight into the faceplate splitter, and extended the CAT5 (internet) cable to the switch. This keeps the sub-optimal, "high frequencies over phone lines" segment as short as possible. But it's still possible to extend the ADSL connection to the router if you have to do it that way (e.g. if you have a combined router / switch with several internet sockets and maybe integral wireless).