UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Success Stories (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Sobell 516 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=170176)

kestrelmusic 17th Aug 2020 10:08 pm

Sobell 516

5 Attachment(s)
This is my latest restoration completed: a Sobell 516. When I got it, it was derelict: the chassis covered with rust and the case in several parts. It had obviously got seriously wet at some time as the veneer was lifting and the main case badly distorted. Some idiot had got at the chassis and "repaired" it - I found several wrong components and several parts missing, including V4 grid leak. Several of the replacement parts were incorrect as to either value or voltage rating, and the smoothing electrolytics were open circuit. All the valves were either knackered or missing, fortunately I had suitable replacements in stock.

However, I always enjoy a challenge. If this had been a 'quality' pre-war set I'd have stripped it and had the chassis sandblasted, but I didn't feel it was worth doing that for a late-40s woodie, so I just cleaned it up and gave it a coat of aluminium paint. The case was in a bad state; there was no way it was going to re-assemble perfectly without soaking it and clamping it round a mould. But I got it within a few millimetres, with the help of PVA adhesive and some clamps borrowed from my neighbour.

The card back was distorted and most of the top broken away: I patched it using an odd one I had to hand, carefully cut to size and with the parts glued and stapled.

Anyway, here are the results! It works well now, pulling in stations happily on all three ranges.

dave walsh 18th Aug 2020 12:04 am

Re: Sobell 516

That's impressive, given the sad history Kestrel. My Grandmother gave me one of those when I was about twelve. I wanted something more "Scientific looking so I removed the [Bakelite] case but kept it well preserved. I wanted to listen on SW but didn't realise that I needed to add an aerial [MW and LW were lively without one]. When I finally inserted a few yards of wire into the socket I could get the Voice of America/Gander/Russia and New York. I was delighted!

Dave W

Oh yes and before that, it wasn't working when my Gran handed it over. The 5Z4G rectifier was a black US metal can job so I couldn't see the heater. All the other valves lit up and my dad had brought a radio chassis home one night. I noticed there was a 5Z4G in that one. I changed them over and the Sobell revived-Great Joy!

MurphyNut 8th Sep 2020 12:50 pm

Very nice, you've done a great job, you can't beat a big wooden cabinet for sound quality and presence! I have the 615 from about the same time.

Phil G4SPZ 10th Sep 2020 11:09 pm

Congratulations! That’s quite an impressive set.