UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 4th Aug 2016, 8:45 am   #41
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

Default Re: Wiring 'Aux-in' (iPod) connectors to Car radios

The 'Redirad' and similar devices sound (pun intended!) like a very good idea, allowing the connection of all sorts of external devices withouth the need to remove the radio for internal modification. Years ago a similar technique was employed to allow an AM radio to receive FM stations, admittedly only in mono, and converted to AM. With the 'Redirad' it would appear that the same principle is used, presumably by Amplitude Modulating an internally generated 1000kHz signal with AF from an Ipod or other device. Again, the resultant audio is only going to be mono and with a max. frequency response of no more than 5kHZ, at least in the AM version.
'LIVEWIRE?' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2016, 2:11 pm   #42
julie_m
Dekatron

The fixed 1 MHz output frequency could potentially be a problem with some sets, since it isn't a "real" station frequency. (All real station frequencies in the MW and LW bands are multiples of 9 kHz. Interestingly, made-up radio stations in films and TV often use non-multiples; I am not sure whether this is deliberate, and if so to what end, or just simple ignorance on the part of the writers.)

There were some digitally-tuned, but still MW/LW only, radios fitted to Fords in the 1980s, and these can only be tuned to multiples of nine.
Old 4th Aug 2016, 6:20 pm   #43
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

This problem, which occurs because the 'Redirad' is an American market device, and there the AM (MW)channels are 10kHz apart, so 1Mhz (1000kHz) is a designated broadcast channel. The nearest equivalent channel in the British & European system is 999kHz, which isn't used in the UK, AFAIK, so there may not be any real problems with digitally tuned MW Radios. Of course the older mechanically tuned sets can be tuned to exactly 1Mhz, so no problems there!
'LIVEWIRE?' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2016, 12:02 pm   #44
Tiggers
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
The fixed 1 MHz output frequency could potentially be a problem with some sets, since it isn't a "real" station frequency.
I fitted a RediRad to my 1960’s car with original Smiths Radiomobile (LW/MW) and it works great. (There is also an FM version for those cars with FM radios.) Good sound, and no problem on the tuning. I was so impressed I now import them from the US manufacturer and offer them at an all-inclusive discounted cost to members of classic car clubs. More information on the website. I don’t want to get in trouble with the mods, but if you want to know more there is a bit of a website; just search for RediRad UK.
Tiggers is offline   Reply With Quote