UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2012, 11:44 am   #21
woodchips
Octode

Default Re: Mechanical Spectrum Analyser

Another reference to ball resolvers is in Engineering vol 40 Nov 27 1885. This also refers to articles by Professor Hele Shaw in the Bristol Naturalists Society 'some two years ago' and the Phil Trans June 19 1884 in a paper The Theory of Continuous Calculating Machines. Does anyone happen to have these volumes and could scan them? The RS archive is only available back to 1887. also side references to the British Association at Montreal and Aberdeen, which are probably too vague. Also a reference to an inventions exhibition where several ball resolvers were on show, this might have been 1884. Bob
Old 11th Apr 2012, 11:48 am   #22
woodchips
Octode

Forgot to say, but the book Vulcan 607 is the story of the first bombing raid on Stanley during the Falklands, and the Vulcan used these electromechanical navigation units. Ok, did have an inertial system as well but was only 20 miles out from memory. Book bit slow to start but well worth the 50p it now gets in the charity shops. Bob.
Old 11th Apr 2012, 12:12 pm   #23
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Peter Scott, Edinburgh? Unless there's another one you look a bit different since the last time we met. Do you remember IMM's efforts with the HP9825 calculator doing plots to explain the Fourier Transform to his kids?
I do recall some interesting stories about IMM but not that one.
I still have HP9100 in my loft but alas no plotter. Re my slightly dog-eared appearance try my web site for a more familiar image.

Peter
Old 11th Apr 2012, 3:15 pm   #24
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
Forgot to say, but the book Vulcan 607 is the story of the first bombing raid on Stanley during the Falklands, and the Vulcan used these electromechanical navigation units. Ok, did have an inertial system as well but was only 20 miles out from memory. Book bit slow to start but well worth the 50p it now gets in the charity shops.
The site to which Ging made reference upthread, belongs to a Dutch lady who has rebuilt a Vulcan navigation system in her spare room...

...need I add that she seems rather unusual, and that the site is worth a look. The quality of the work on there is phenomenal.

Last edited by mark_in_manc; 11th Apr 2012 at 3:21 pm.
Old 31st Jan 2016, 12:28 am   #25
mark_in_manc
Octode

This is an old thread - but if you go to YouTube and search on 'Henrici', you'll find a video my mate Phil (pictured in same) posted recently of the device in action.

In fact, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvJPjugtenI
Closed Thread