UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2012, 9:47 pm   #1
Adjuster
Retired Dormant Member

Default Loose Top Cap

I have an EBL31 valve where the top cap terminal has come loose from the bulb, although the wire connection is still good. I would like if possible to save the connection from breaking off completely.

What sort of adhesive might be suitable for this - an epoxy like Araldite? Bear in mind that as this is an output valve, the bulb will normally get quite hot.

Alternatively, should I simply get a new valve? I have no access to a valve tester, but the sound seems adequately loud and not particularly distorted. I would prefer to avoid spending money unnecessarily.
Old 12th Mar 2012, 10:26 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Loose Top Cap

The cement originally used to stick top caps and bases to glass valves was, I believe, a mixture of shellac and wood dust, although my memory may be wrong. It has certainly been discussed on this forum before.

I have successfully used Araldite on a number of occasions, although in my case the top caps had come off completely rather than being just loose; in your case, you may have to devise a method of injecting some Araldite into the tiny gap between the loose cap and the glass envelope, or alternatively grasp the nettle:

1. Unsolder the top cap, remove it and clean away any excess solder
2. Apply Araldite and glue the cap securely to the glass envelope
3. When the Araldite has cured, quickly resolder the wire to the cap

Good luck!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 12th Mar 2012, 10:48 pm   #3
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: Loose Top Cap

The original cement was indeed shellac and wood floor. Epoxy will be fine but I've read somewhere that you must NOT use superglue as it will crack the glass when it heats up.

- Joe
Closed Thread