UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2011, 8:22 pm   #1
matthewbpt
Retired Dormant Member

Default 1960s portable transistor record player

I found this record player that used to belong to my Dad in his teenage years the 60s! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work when loaded with the required 6 1.5V D batteries, the motor doesn't turn on when it is switched on. I have a basic knowledge of electronics so I thought I'd open it up and see if I could pinpoint any obvious problems, no luck though! I am attaching some pictures of the inner workings to see if you guys have any ideas/tips. I'm quite keen on making a little project out of restoring this!

It seems to be almost identical to this record player http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH4_CUL3y5Q . The only difference is that mine doesn't say Philips, but "Stella".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20111020_001.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	57577   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111020_002.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	57578   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111020_003.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	57579   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111020_005.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	57580   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111020_007.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	57581  

Old 20th Oct 2011, 9:03 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: 1960s portable transistor record player

I can't help you with the fault, but there are usually Stella versions of Philips models from the 50s and 60s. The Philips badged versions were sold through an approved dealer network and the Stella versions were sold through independents.
Old 20th Oct 2011, 9:32 pm   #3
roffe
Hexode

Philips AG4000.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips..._ag4000ag.html
Old 20th Oct 2011, 10:12 pm   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Service data available here:-

http://www.service-data.com/product.php/4650/6007

Regards, Mick.
Old 20th Oct 2011, 10:32 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Check that the batteries are in the right way round and that they are making contact, as sometimes a fault like this can be as simple as that!

Switch on, volume up and see if you get any noise when you gently touch the stylus. If you do, then the amp is getting power and probably working. If not, then the amp may be faulty or the switch may be not passing current.

Remove the turntable and look underneath. The motor should point through and you can feel whether it is running or not. Give the deck a thorough clean as it may just be fouled up with muck. If it's not been used for years, all the grease will have gone hard. Remove it all and use watchmaker's oil SPARINGLY in it's place.

Have you got a meter? About £15 from Maplins will get you one.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 20th Oct 2011, 10:45 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

I've done up a few of these. usually what happens is, when you pull the arm gently to the right until it clicks, to power it up, nothing happens because either the switch contacts are dirty, or the lever which activates the switch is slightly bent.

Try moving the arm as I said, whilst observing the moving bits - Does the motor then turn?
You should soon trace this one.
Old 21st Oct 2011, 12:35 am   #7
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Give the deck a thorough clean as it may just be fouled up with muck. If it's not been used for years, all the grease will have gone hard. Remove it all and use watchmaker's oil SPARINGLY in it's place.
Specifying clock oil is a bit extreme for this sort of job, though it's ideal if easily available. You can replace the original grease with bicycle grease, or even standard automotive lithium grease. You can lubricate with sewing machine oil or even 3-in-1 if that's all you have, but you will probably need to relubricate every few years if you use that.

Don't try to lubricate with WD40 as that's completely unsuitable, though you can use it as a solvent to remove the old crud.
Old 21st Oct 2011, 8:50 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Don't use clock or watch oil on sintered bronze bearings, like the motor; these oils are designed not to "creep". The oils Paul mentions above are much better for this purpose as the bearings are like sponges for the oil to "soak in".
Old 21st Oct 2011, 2:32 pm   #9
matthewbpt
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the tips guys. I downloaded the schematic and I am taking the player on monday to the electronics workshop at my uni, where they have lots of multimeters, testing equipment, etc. I will troubleshoot it following your advice and update the post with my results!

Cheers,

Matt
Old 21st Oct 2011, 5:59 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

I'm sure you'll get plenty of interest in your strange old bit of kit- everything from fascination to contempt with hopefully helpful somewhere in between the extremes.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread