UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2011, 3:24 pm   #1
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default ERIE Resistor Data

Has anyone by any chance got an ERIE datasheet or Catalogue covering their ceramic-bodied resistors from the 1950s?

I am interested in finding out the manufacturer's specification, in particular the power rating, for the Types 8, 9 and 10 carbon composition resistors, and the Types 100, 108 and 109 high stability 'cracked carbon' types.

A scan or photograph of any original data would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andy
Old 26th Oct 2012, 10:18 am   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: ERIE Resistor Data

Can I reiterate this question, which went unanswered 18 months ago, but extend it to include any Erie resistor types from the 30's, 40's and 50's, please.

A recent purchase of some boxes of unused Erie 'dogbone' moulded carbon types, which I imagine are of prewar or wartime manufacture, is the reason.

It seems difficult to believe that no documentation has survived.

Many thanks,

Andy
Old 26th Oct 2012, 10:48 am   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Hi Andy, I was trying to find same info earlier this week! The reason being that the same resistor (tube about 3/4 inch long) is on ebay described as 0.5W and 1W. It can't be both! Let us keep our fingers crossed.
I do have somewhere a couple of the original service kit tins with a long hinged lid that had the ceramic style in them. I will see if I can find them and post any findings here.
Best wishes, Robin
Old 26th Oct 2012, 12:03 pm   #4
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Hi Robin,
My understanding is that the carbon composition type, 3/4 inch long, is rated at 0.5 watts, and the cracked carbon type is rated at only 0.25 watts. But I might well be wrong - hence the desire to see some manufacturer's documentation.

The modern miniscule resistors with these power ratings must run very hot in comparison!

Andy
Old 26th Oct 2012, 12:32 pm   #5
KeithsTV
Nonode

I believe with modern resistors the power rating is specified at 70C, above that they have to be de-rated.

Keith
Old 26th Oct 2012, 2:44 pm   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Hi Andy
Sorry I must have missed this question first time around. I have the Erie data sheets which I will try to scan tonight. In the meantime:

Type No: Watts At 40°C / Watts at 70°C
8: 1 / 0.5
9: 0.5 / 0.25
10: 2 / 1
100: * / 1
108: * / 0.5
109: * / 0.25
* no rating given

Lucien
Old 27th Oct 2012, 3:32 pm   #7
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Hi Lucien,

Very many thanks!!!

Do you also by any chance have sheets for the earlier types including the wartime styles with cylindrical body, colour banded 'body, end band, second band', and the dogbones which include Type 2?

Thanks again,

Andy
Old 27th Oct 2012, 5:18 pm   #8
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
Sorry I must have missed this question first time around. I have the Erie data sheets which I will try to scan tonight ...
I'd be very interested to see these scans too Lucien. I'll PM you my e-mail if that's the best way to get them at full resolution.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 27th Oct 2012, 5:38 pm   #9
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Likewise, I will PM my email address.
Andy
Old 28th Oct 2012, 12:44 am   #10
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I have four pages of data for wire-ended solid carbon and one for carbon film, datasheets R100 R101 and R110 of 1961-62. Dims and specs for type 2 included.

Unfortunately I'm still fighting my scanner, cannot get the driver to function correctly since making some changes to the PC. As soon as I have it fixed I will email scans!

Lucien
Old 28th Oct 2012, 10:43 am   #11
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Hi Lucien,
Splendid, I am looking forward to the scans once your scanner is working again!
I have PM'd my email address.
Very many thanks,
Andy
Old 28th Oct 2012, 10:50 pm   #12
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I eventually got the pages scanned, if anybody wants higher resolution copies or other material from the Erie catalogue, please PM or email me.

From the first page of R100 you should be able to see which sizes of resistor match which common wattage descriptors. It would be nice to make a detailed comparison with other resistor makers' data, so if anyone has corresponding catalogues or data sheets for Morganite, Lab Resistor Co etc. please get in touch.

Lucien
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Erie R100 11_61 a.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	71942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Erie R100 11_61 b.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	71943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Erie R101 11_61 a.jpg
Views:	1092
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	71944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Erie R101 11_61 b.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	71945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Erie R110 08_62.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	71946  

Old 29th Oct 2012, 9:14 am   #13
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Thank you very much for these Lucien ! I've just opened the higher-res copies which you e-mailed me and they look very good too.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 29th Oct 2012, 10:49 am   #14
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

And very many thanks from me!

Would it be too much to ask whether the whole document could be scanned in the fullness of time - there must be a lot more interesting information in there!

Andy
Old 29th Oct 2012, 9:27 pm   #15
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

This particular catalogue has about 35 offset-printed pages including the above, mostly devoted to ceramic capacitors of all kinds. Then there are maybe 100 loose pages also mainly about capacitors but including pre-assembled modules and oddities like hydrophone transducers. These have more of a stencil-duplicator appearance and are less densely packed. I will scan the contents list so you can see what if anything is useful.

There are datasheets and catalogues here for various other components, some radio/TV and some industrial. I could make a list of those, can't guarantee always to have time to scan-on-request but will try a few bits and see if they are of interest.

Lucien
Old 25th Jan 2013, 11:46 pm   #16
quad2fan
Retired Dormant Member

Bit late to the party here, but would it be possible for somebody to email me a copy of these datasheets too please? Curious what the wattages etc are in the ERIE resistors as fitted in the Quad II amps.

Many thanks,

John.
Old 25th Jan 2013, 11:51 pm   #17
GrimJosef
Dekatron

The datasheets do make interesting reading. But for info the larger ones in the Quad II are 0.5W and the smaller ones are 0.25W.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 26th Jan 2013, 8:10 pm   #18
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

John, if you PM me with your email address I'll send you the full-res scans.

Lucien
Old 23rd Aug 2013, 7:53 am   #19
andorrr
Retired Dormant Member

Lucien, even the small-res photos help me a lot. I'm restauring a Quad II amplifier from 1966, and it would be so great to have the hi-res scans! My e-mail is removed by moderator. Can you send the hi-res images to me? Thank you very much!

Andor

Last edited by Station X; 23rd Aug 2013 at 9:27 am. Reason: Email adress removed. Please exchange email adresses using the Private Messaging (PM) system.
Closed Thread