UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2010, 12:31 pm   #1
alynG1TBL
Tetrode

Default Prewar Television Shops

Morning all, one of my other hobbies is building large scale tramcars. One of my books I have has an illustration taken in Leicester in 1937. In the background, is a Television Shop in "Art Deco" style. Now Leicester is a fair way from the Ally Pally TX. Any thoughts? and does anyone else have any prewar pictures. Alyn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv shop.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	44147  
Old 20th Dec 2010, 12:54 pm   #2
yesnaby
Octode

Default Re: Prewar Television Shops

Hello,

Re Leicester, see

http://www.francisfrith.com/leicester/photos/

Shows the same area but cannot see the TV sign!

Michael
Old 20th Dec 2010, 1:13 pm   #3
FIXITNOW
Octode

Eastgates 1949, Leicester
looks to be the correct picture but its just not big enought to read the sign
Old 20th Dec 2010, 1:21 pm   #4
evingar
Octode

Maybe it's not a shop. The Art Deco fašade looks like a Picture House / cinema- ISTR there were large screen televisions around pre war produced by Baird :-

http://www.terramedia.co.uk/media/ci...ge_TV_1930.htm

Maybe they had one installed ?
Old 20th Dec 2010, 1:35 pm   #5
brianc
Rest in Peace

It looks as though the store (Stones?) was there in 1949. See picture 4th row, 3rd from left.

I tried to find a signal strength map for AP in my BBC year books but to no avail but I suppose it would be possible to receive Band I TV 100 miles from AP. I can't see why else a shop would make such a big deal of Television when their prospective customers couldn't benefit! That's not a cheap sign.
Old 20th Dec 2010, 1:40 pm   #6
brianc
Rest in Peace

Sorry, the two previous posts came in during my "researches". The Baird thing is possible but perhaps with the 30 line televisors. I'm sure I remember a Radio & TV chain called "Stones".
Old 20th Dec 2010, 2:16 pm   #7
alynG1TBL
Tetrode

Thanks for the comments, the photo was taken in June 1937, the photo is in the National Tramway Museum Archive at Crich. The Television retailer is Stones. Alyn PS the trams all ended by 9th November 1949.
Old 20th Dec 2010, 6:07 pm   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

There were two brothers that ran a series of radio 'chain stores'. They were J&M and J&F Stone. They usually had across the top of shop window 'RADIO LIGHTING TELEVISION' They became part of a large chain that encompassed BROADMEADS, GRAYS and finally the CIVIC empire that was bought out by GKN around 1973 mainly for their finance company. They closed over 400 shops and sold off all the service equipment [400 shops worth] for peanuts from their Mortlake Road central service dept. That incredible story may be for another thread. Cheers, John.
Old 20th Dec 2010, 7:27 pm   #9
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Civic was later taken over by Philips, some shops going to Loyds Retailers, others to Sidney Atkinsons.

Both of the "Stones" chains appear to have done well, judging from the number of shops they had and kept adding to.
Old 20th Dec 2010, 9:00 pm   #10
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
... They became part of a large chain that encompassed BROADMEADS, GRAYS ...
I used to live in Grays (in Essex) and I think you'll find the chain was GREYS.

There was one in Grays High Street and it was almost directly opposite a much larger TV shop called Sidney Gray (which was usually referred to as Sidney Gray's for added confusion!) which later became part of one of the large rental chains - Granada, possibly, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure how long they'd both been there but I should point out that my memories of them are post-war (though starting from fairly early post-war!)
Old 20th Dec 2010, 9:18 pm   #11
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi, very interesting, sadly i think those stores have been knocked down now shall have to have a proper look at it. Luckily there was a (rather plain) broadmeads down the road what i have a photo of (people queueing out of the doors waiting for the 56' TV sales) shall have to look it out and upload it. The place certainly looks better than what's there now!
thanks for posting that, something i would have never know about!
Old 21st Dec 2010, 12:52 am   #12
peter_scott
Nonode

That's a fascinating photo and it would be wonderful to get more information on Stone's Leicester shop. It's unfortunate that no aerial is visible in the photo.

In 1955 the Television sign is still there and now there are some masts on the roof.
http://www.francisfrith.com/leiceste...c1955_L144073/

Peter

Last edited by peter_scott; 21st Dec 2010 at 1:05 am.
Old 21st Dec 2010, 11:33 am   #13
peter_scott
Nonode

I think Stone's shop faces approximately west so the H aerial on the roof appears to be directed southward. The Sutton Coldfield transmitter opened in December 1949 but if I've got my directions right the aerial should be pointing towards the camera for optimum signal strength. Perhaps there was no need to change its direction from Alexandra Palace for good reception from the new transmitter. It's still a bit odd that no aerial is visible in the 1937 picture. I can't imagine that the photographer would fade it out for that scene.

Peter
Old 21st Dec 2010, 1:13 pm   #14
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Maybe if it was a shop, they were flogging televisions to the public here! Obviously the public not knowing much about it, go down to buy a set and taking it home to receive (what i would expect to be) a very weak image. On the other hand, they probably brought a set to show the public, signal from Palace was received in Nottingham when they were broadcasting in the 30's. I have done my research and the shop has gone (i think anyway). The shop on the right is is definitely gone and it is now a shoe shop . It just shows how places have changed so much. the city council does seem to be demolishing historic parts of Leicester at the moment. Where that shop stood it is just a mish mash of new and old buildings, an eyesore is an understatement. You're OK if you don't look up!
Old 21st Dec 2010, 11:46 pm   #15
Andy - G8MNM
Pentode

I recognise the location- the clock tower at the end of Gallowtreegate
The shop is I think on the corner of Churchgate?
I lived in Evington just outside Leicester from 1955 to 1969 - all I remember is Mays Electronics/TV/Domestic shops down Churchgate where I used to get parts for my electronic projects.
When I was last down I was shocked at how much LCC has demolished!
St Margarets Baths - New when I was a youngster and the Granby Halls - now a parking lot!

Andy
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 10:49 am   #16
peter_scott
Nonode

I think the Tudor style building to the left of Stones is in Belgrave Gate.
http://www.francisfrith.com/leiceste...c1955_L144006/

Which suggests that Stones was located on the corner of Belgrave Gate and Humberstone Gate facing down the direction of the High Street.
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/...ter%201928.jpg

Peter

Last edited by peter_scott; 22nd Dec 2010 at 11:06 am.
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 10:58 am   #17
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It was considered to be high prestige to obtain a television signal and display it in your showroom. This was especially so if the shop was a private concern located well outside the fringe area for reception. It proved your 'engineering skills' of the trade.
J&M and J&S Stone were brothers but operated separate shops within the group. When my parents moved into a war requisitioned flat in Wimbledon Broadway in 1946 they purchased a very 'racy' art deco lamp for the living room from one of their shops opposite the old town hall in the Broadway. J.
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 11:30 am   #18
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi, I have found pictures on google maps of where Broadmeads and Stones stood. the one with the shop circled is Broadmeads and the one with the clock tower is where the stones store once stood (directly behind it).
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broadmeads.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	44211   Click image for larger version

Name:	stones store2.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	44212  
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 11:40 am   #19
peter_scott
Nonode

Across the road from Stones, next but one to Jays is what I assume was a completing television shop (Broadbeads) and I suspect is the shop that Andy refers to. (Hidden behind the clock in this photo.)
http://www.francisfrith.com/leiceste...c1955_L144006/

Scroll down to page three in this article for an account from an employee of Broadmeads.
http://www.le.ac.uk/emoha/news/pdf/issue3.pdf

The "Ekco" vinegar should appeal to John.

Peter

Last edited by peter_scott; 22nd Dec 2010 at 12:10 pm.
Old 22nd Dec 2010, 12:40 pm   #20
alynG1TBL
Tetrode

I like the crowd outside Broadmeads, watching the televisions, as the date is mid 50's, perhaps looking at the then new ITV? Alyn
Closed Thread