UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2010, 4:20 pm   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Unusual Bush DAC90A

When cleaning up the Bush DAC90A after it's snow adventure I noticed that it was quite different to the others I have in my collection.
At first glance the differences are not very noticeable but closer examination brings them to light.
The most obvious change is the control knobs themselves having lost their 'slopes' with straight edges and slight dishing in the centres.
The glass dial is green and gold, quite smart for such a basic receiver.
The little brown bomb was pulled off the tip around ten years ago and appears to be original even down to the back screws and washers. It was checked out when I first rescued it and it worked very well, it still does but I really should do a cap change if only the audio coupler and the mains buffer.
It's been working in the office for a few hours and no loud pops so I guess the waxies are not too bad. It has a massive reserve of volume and very sensitive.
I presume this was one of the last series produced? Maybe I should give it a little more love.... The serial number by the way is 73/175240. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush DAC90A. Sn. 73  175240.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	43630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush DAC90A. Sn. 73  175240 (1).jpg
Views:	343
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	43631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush DAC90A. Sn. 73  175240 (2).jpg
Views:	380
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	43632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush DAC90A. Sn. 73  175240 (3).jpg
Views:	396
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	43633  
Old 5th Dec 2010, 4:31 pm   #2
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Unusual Bush DAC90A

Hi John,

I have quite a collection of DAC90A's and two of them have the same knobs as yours and indeed have the Green & Gold dial.

The others ones have the slopes with straight edges as you mention and some have gold ring inserts with clear plastic back finger plates, I was under the impression the latter ones were the last produced, I'm proabably wrong though.

Chris
Old 5th Dec 2010, 4:53 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

You're quite right, Chris: of the three main combinations of knobs and dial used on DAC90As, John's set is the middle version and those with perspex backplates to the knobs, and 'old gold' dial with green and red lettering, came last. Serial numbers extended well beyond 73/200000. The latest one here, which really is unusual - it was issued as a factory-painted cream set, and the bakelite under the paint (which was peeling badly on arrival) is quite a light chocolate brown - is number 73/227666.

Regards,
Paul
Old 5th Dec 2010, 5:48 pm   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I have been aware of the 3 types too. I think TVs used the type pictured as well, so I assume around 1953?
Old 5th Dec 2010, 6:01 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Thanks for the information. I guess it sits around 1953 as suggested. Don't worry, I'll change the caps so don't loose any sleep tonight... Cheers, John.
Old 5th Dec 2010, 7:39 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

There's probably liitle more that can be said about the DAC90A that hasn't already been said, but it's a popular set which crops up in discussion many times on the forum. As to the dial variations, this thread might be of interest:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=37624

Some dials were quite sombre, others brighter and cheerful, given that they don't get much illumination from the dial bulbs!

David
Old 7th Dec 2010, 1:16 am   #7
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
73/ The latest one here, which really is unusual - it was issued as a factory-painted cream set, and the bakelite under the paint (which was peeling badly on arrival) is quite a light chocolate brown - is number 73/227666.

Regards,
Paul
I Have only ever seen one in chocolate brown, it was at one of the Harpenden sales. I still regret not buying it!
The cabinet was plain light brown with no "swirls" as in the normal brown Bakelite. The seller thought it was a special made for rental, maybe Radio Rentals. I always thought they used Ekco sets
I do have a DAC90 in an unusual colour, it is a dark maroon. Again plain with no "swirls". I dont know if it was a special order or if it was just a case of somone getting the mix wrong? Maybe too much ox blood!?
Regards. Rich.
Old 7th Dec 2010, 2:41 am   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Interesting... did the knobs match the chocolate brown set? Those on mine are cream of course: photo of the oddity below. There are a couple of pale marks on the cabinet from what appears to be filing done before the factory paint job, otherwise the bakelite surface has been well preserved by the paint. It was mine for £10 at the local flea market, as a result of its very scruffy appearance. Can't say I've ever seen a maroon DAC90, just black, 'walnut' and a very few in cream.

Regards,
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2258a.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	43688  
Old 7th Dec 2010, 9:48 am   #9
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

That looks like a white set painted brown?
Old 7th Dec 2010, 11:24 am   #10
SeanStevens
Octode

Has anybody ever produced a 'time-line' of the 90's production? It would be interesting to see the evolution of the 90, through to the 90a.

The 90a may have only been made for a few years, but they certainly knocked out a shed load of them, with changes to the dial glass, colour and subtle changes inside.

SEAN
Old 7th Dec 2010, 11:58 pm   #11
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Interesting... did the knobs match the chocolate brown set? Those on mine are cream of course: Can't say I've ever seen a maroon DAC90, just black, 'walnut' and a very few in cream.

Regards,
Paul
Hi Paul,
The knobs on the brown set I saw certainly weren't white. I would have noticed that!
I cannot remember for certain if they were the same brown as the cabinet, but again I would have thought that I would remember if they had looked odd.
I have only ever seen the one maroon dac90 but I have seen a few maroon dac10's. Again I do have one in my collection.
I will take a picture of the two if it is of interest but maybe a new thread will be needed if this is going to stray into the whole 1950's Bush range !?
What are you going to do with your set? leave it as it is or spray the knobs / cabinet to match each other?
Regards, Rich.
Old 8th Dec 2010, 2:43 am   #12
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hi Rich,

It'll stay as it is while it's mine. I don't find it hideous, and the set tells its own story as it stands: I certainly hadn't been aware that 90As were produced at all in factory-painted cream before I met it. Spray it and the evidence, such as it is, gets hidden, any repaired or dulled 90A cabinet might be underneath, and they're not exactly scarce

Regards,
Paul
Old 8th Dec 2010, 3:19 am   #13
crusher19860138
Hexode

I have just picked up an Ivory DAC90A,and it is the most sensitive of all the 3 i own (the other 2 being brown),the sensitivity between the sets is noticeable,my Ivory one picks up RTE Radio 1 on Long Wave like the transmitter is in my back garden!
Closed Thread