UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Sep 2010, 4:34 pm   #1
m1111p111
Retired Dormant Member

Default 5 pin din

A friend has asked me to look at a Ferguson 200TA stereo receiver which has no incorporated speaker, instead it has 2 5-pin din sockets for the speaker outputs. I have no 5-pin din sockets or leads. Does anybody know of a workaround which would allow me to test whether this unit was working without these connectors?
Old 25th Sep 2010, 4:37 pm   #2
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 5 pin din

I've never seen a 5 pin DIN used for loudspeakers. It's usually 2 pin, one flat and one round.
Old 25th Sep 2010, 4:46 pm   #3
m1111p111
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Dave. These are definitely 5-pin dins, and there are inputs for gram and tape which are also 5-pin dins. There are also two mains outlet sockets one of which has a miniature plug inserted of the old type, one large round pin at the top and 2 smaller round pins at the bottom. I suppose my question is, is it possible to connect a speaker cable direct to the speaker output without the 5-pin connector?

Last edited by m1111p111; 25th Sep 2010 at 5:06 pm.
Old 25th Sep 2010, 5:23 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

I bet this is just a tuner , i have never seen a 5 pin din speaker socket,
Old 25th Sep 2010, 5:31 pm   #5
m1111p111
Retired Dormant Member

You're right, it is a tuner with gram and tape inputs, made in 1966.
Old 25th Sep 2010, 6:01 pm   #6
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Hi

5 pin DIN plugs are still widely available (though not as widely as 20years ago).

Your local Maplin will have them, but they are rather expensive. Try your local pound shops.

ALAN
Old 25th Sep 2010, 6:31 pm   #7
Steve_P
Dekatron

I have seen a unit with 3 pn DIN plugs on the speakers. It was a Rigonda Party Time Calipso. Must get it out sometime.

Anyway, never seen 3 or 5 pn DIN used over here in this way. It's probably a tuner as previously stated.

Pictures tell us a lot, and it's nice to look at other people's gear, especially if you're as nosey as me! Get the camera out! And what's up witth it?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 25th Sep 2010, 6:54 pm   #8
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,
The 2amp round pin mains plug was probably intended to supply the associated amplifier and may be energised from the tuner on-off switch. Or, if it is a tuner-amp you've got, it was for the turntable. Sometimes there's two.
Cheers de Pete
Old 25th Sep 2010, 7:50 pm   #9
Sideband
Dekatron

Like others, I suspect this is 'line' output only and will not drive speakers. You will need to connect this to an amplifier but it would make things a whole lot easier if you could show a good clear picture of the sockets.

5 pin DIN sockets normally have pins 1,4 as input and pins 3,5 as output. Pin 2 is common earth. There were various arrangements to the pin geometry. Most common was 180 degree 5 pin. There was also 180 degree 3 pin, 240 degree 5/6 pin and 270 degree 5/6 pin. There was also a 360 degree 5 pin (sometimes called a domino) used for headphones. The speaker socket was commonly 2 pin, one flat and one round.

SB
Old 25th Sep 2010, 7:53 pm   #10
roffe
Hexode

Apparently it's a tuner-amplifier with 7W/ch in the "Unit Audio Series"
Pages 7-8:
http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page...TS#header-logo
Old 25th Sep 2010, 8:25 pm   #11
Sideband
Dekatron

...and it states '3 pin DIN sockets for loudspeakers'. Not unknown but certainly not very common. So now we know!

SB
Old 25th Sep 2010, 10:09 pm   #12

To answer the OPs question, strip a bit of small flex and stuff it in the hole(s) don't use a solid pin as it will bend the socket.

Old 27th Sep 2010, 5:12 pm   #13
m1111p111
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the replies.
It does have 2 mains outlets on the back as mentioned earlier, so I suppose it's an early music centre but the tape deck, gram etc need to be conected to this unit as opposed to being incorporated.
On inspection it's been got at and has a broken case where 2 of the chassis retaining screws sit.
He has a pitch in an antique and collectables centre, he got it for £3 and I don't have the time to work on it, so he's marked it up with a small profit and will sell it on. It's not really my cup of tea otherwise I would have had a go at it.

Thanks again,

Mark.
Closed Thread