UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 24th Aug 2010, 11:21 am   #1
Mike Phelan
Dekatron
 
Mike Phelan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Near Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 4,207
Default Teasmade problem sorted!

Our 1950 D25 Teasmade clock stopped at 8:05 Sunday night -so we had to get out of bed to make coffee Monday morning. The shame of it!

Clearly, this could not possibly go on, so I spent a day sorting it out.
A few years ago, I found that the clock motor was becoming noisy - a whirring sound, caused by the Tufnol rotor bearings being worn and attempting to vibrate at mains frequency.

Thick oil made a temporary cure, but my better half could not sleep with this, so a quick solution (bodge) was called for, that being two 4K7 resistors in series with the stator coil that gave a weaker field and less 50Hz oomph.

Now, the fault was that the resistors had gone slightly high, and the clock would not run unless the rotor was given a spin.

So, until I do the job properly and make new bearings, I had a couple of later Teasmades that I was going to make into one; one was an 855 with a missing motor, the other the smaller 854 that used the same motor, but the stator coil was OC. A while ago Mike Barker made a new coil for this one, so the way forward was to make one good Teasmade from two. I stripped and completely cleaned all the parts so the 855 now looks like new and woke us up with a coffee this morning.

Iíll post something about the D25 bearing repair when I get time to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	855.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	39748  
__________________
Mike.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 25th Aug 2010 at 9:31 am. Reason: Image edit to add 12K 2W resistor for 220v
Mike Phelan is offline  
Old 24th Aug 2010, 7:34 pm   #2
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron
 
merlinmaxwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maidenhead, Berkshire, UK.
Posts: 7,726
Default Re: Teasmade problem sorted!

"-so we had to get out of bed to make coffee Monday morning. The shame of it!" isn't that what the 'tea now' position is for?
__________________
Cats have staff, it's dogs that have owners.
merlinmaxwell is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2010, 9:19 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron
 
Mike Phelan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Near Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 4,207
Default Re: Teasmade problem sorted!

It is now I have a working 855, but the older D25 doesn't have such a thing; all the controls are just two toggle switches.

"Tea now" on Monday was Mike P putting the kettle on in the kitchen!
__________________
Mike.
Mike Phelan is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2010, 4:55 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron
 
Mike Phelan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Near Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 4,207
Default Re: Teasmade problem sorted!

Thanks for your comments, folks; now I've had the correct caffeine dosage, we'll put the thread in the dishwasher; sooner or later, the D25 fix might be worth a new thread. )
__________________
Mike.
Mike Phelan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:13 pm.


All information and advice on this forum is subject to the WARNING AND DISCLAIMER located at https://www.vintage-radio.net/rules.html.
Failure to heed this warning may result in death or serious injury to yourself and/or others.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2002 - 2018, Paul Stenning.