UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2010, 5:40 pm   #1
Radio 100
Retired Dormant Member

Default Roberts M5A

Hi,
I am restoring a Roberts M5A number A14873 .However ,when looking at it for the first time I notice that it does not have the valve line up that it shows on the service sheet in fact it has different valve bases and valves El33 ,Ef39,Ech33,Ebc33 and AZ31.This is the line up for the P5A.I have all the Roberts sets up to 1953 and am familiar with them.This is definately an M5A It has not been converted, everything is original except the output transformer which has been replaced.I think it might have been one of the last M5A sets and was a test bed for the later P5A but I am only guessing.Does anybody have any ideas about it?
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 11:25 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts M5A

Hello and welcome,

Service data on pre-war Roberts sets is pretty thin on the ground as you're probably well aware, but from the serial number of yours my guess for now would be that a major design change happened in the course of M5A production and that your set is an example of the later version rather than an isolated transitional model. At http://groups.yahoo.com/group/robertsradiogroup/ I've gathered a database of Roberts serial numbers: only four M5As on file there, but two carry higher numbers than yours, albeit one of them only just! (A.14889 and A.15394). The latter set was of East Molesey production, which I think would substantially confirm that it's later than yours if yours hails from Rathbone Place.

Regards,
Paul
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 10:12 pm   #3
Radio 100
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Roberts M5A

Thanks for information Paul.My set does have Rathbone place on it.I have been looking for an M5A for sometime and was pleased to get this one.However,I feel a bit dismayed that it differs from the normal M5A sets.
Will just have to keep looking for another although they are scarce!

Thanks,
Regards Art
Closed Thread