UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2010, 10:30 pm   #1
boston1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Nextel Tip for Revox owners

Hi,

Having had some great help in this forum, I thought I might try to return it with a small tip.

I noticed from some old posts some Revox owners searching for somewhere to get their cases re-sprayed with Nextel. You can find it offered as a service on ebay from a German seller, but I have found a UK company re-spraying all sorts of stuff, including being able to do Nextel.

It is http://www.spraytechltd.com/

I haven't tried them yet, but will be doing so.

Pete
Old 20th Jun 2010, 7:37 pm   #2
boston1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Nextel Tip for Revox owners

Also, for cleaning it off, you can use powerful solvents, but I have used a good plastic scraper after soaking in hot water and washing up liquid. Then "Barkeepers Friend" with a little water to make a paste and lots of elbow grease. Finish of with some fine wet and dry paper.
Old 20th Jun 2010, 9:07 pm   #3
Dave Anderson
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Pete,

Pity Revox used this nextel stuff on the B77 range. I've noticed my Revox has become 'sticky' to touch.

Do you know what this company charges to respray one machine? I have a feeling they will be quite expensive.

Didn't someone suggest (I think it was on this site) washing the nextel case and allowing it to dry out naturally? Not sure if this works.

Dave
Old 21st Jun 2010, 2:44 pm   #4
boston1
Retired Dormant Member

Once it gets to that sticky stage, the Nextel can be washed, but it doesn't look that nice afterwards. Apparently the original Nextel formula breaks down with age. They revised the formula so it doesn't do that anymore.

I'll be cleaning mine off and getting a quote for a respray. The company seem to do smaller jobs like kitchen doors, so I hope they won't be too costly. I'll let you know what I get as a quote in a few weeks. If it is too expensive, then I'll be looking at doing a high gloss black finish myself.

Pete.
Old 30th Jul 2010, 2:00 am   #5
Steerpike2
Retired Dormant Member

Ordinary methylated spirits (they sell it here with a purple dye, not sure about what colour it is elsewhere) dissolves Revox nextel like water dissolves sugar!
I de-nextelled a whole B77 with a half litre bottle and no physical exertion at all. Then re-sprayed it with ordinary satin black aerosol.

http://web.eject.co.za/s8nspawn/hifi/ak/b77top3.jpg

The aluminium trim I used to obscure/remove burn marks put there by a previous owner. Egad!
Closed Thread