UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2010, 6:58 pm   #1
PlenumPete
Diode

Unhappy Tandberg TD 20A

Hello, a newbie here.

I've a 'vintage' hi-fi installation comprising Tandberg 3011, 3002, 3003 amps and TD 20A, a Denon DP 60L record deck and KLH1 speakers. The key component is the reel-to-reel TD 20A, and I've a big problem with it. The Playback Mode switch/circuit (Left, Stereo, Right) causes the Left channel to drop out on playback. I've had a look internally and the switch assembly is a sealed unit with its own PCB, so there is no possibility of giving the contacts a clean. I think the component is a Tandberg 'special'. Can anyone offer any advice?

Also the deck needs a thorough service and set-up, does anyone have contact details or recommendations for repairers with Tandberg experience in the UK?

Thanks.
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 10:02 pm   #2
rayr0683
Triode

Default Re: Tandberg TD 20A

Hello,
Fellow Tandberg lover here. I have 2 Reel to Reels of Tandberg. A TD20A, and a TD20A-SE, the SE is a 2 track, the 20A, is a 1/4track. I have the perfect guy here in the States for repair. He is the best, was Tandberg Authorized Repair in USA, and still does them complete. He also has alot of NOS Parts on hand, including heads. I had both my machines completelley restored to Spec by him, along with my Tandberg TPT-3001A Tuner. His work is great, and very reasonable. I have 2 other Reel Decks, an AKAI GX-747-DBX, and a TEAC X-2000R DBX. The Tandbergs are sonically the best decks.

I dont know anyone offhand in the UK that is a Tandberg Expert, but Ill look into it for you, and see if I find anyone. I do alot of reading in many Tape Forums that I belong to. I dont know the answer to your problem. But will try to help.

Ray

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 23rd Mar 2010 at 10:42 pm. Reason: Quote removed - not needed.
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 10:10 pm   #3
rayr0683
Triode

Hello,
I found this....are you familiar??

TANDBERG. Spares and service from RDE Tandberg Ltd, Holly Tree House, The Green, Full Sutton, York, YO4 1HW (01759-372795). This company, run by a former Farnell-Tandberg engineer, owns the remaining spares in the UK.

Best of Luck, Ray

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 23rd Mar 2010 at 10:43 pm. Reason: Quote removed - again.
Old 24th Mar 2010, 11:04 am   #4
PlenumPete
Diode

Thanks for that link Ray.

I agree, the TD 20A produces great sounds - its a good machine all round. Hopefully I'll be able to cure the switch problem.

Dave

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Mar 2010 at 1:26 pm. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
Old 24th Mar 2010, 3:08 pm   #5
rayr0683
Triode

Hello Dave,
You definately want to solve the switch problem. If you could explain, or show picture somehow, I may be able tohelpyou. But in any case. You should definately get this deck to a Repair Place that specializes in Reel to Reel Restoration to Factory Specs. They will adjust every aspect of the deck, and replace any necessary parts neeeding so, and bias the unit to whatever tape you decide you will be using in future to record with. This is the best deck you can get, without getting into a Studer Professional Studio unit. There are guys on Ebay that sell their services for bidding, and it consists of so many hours of labor, to work on a particular deck. They do nothing but restore tape decks, and will mention Tandberg, if they do so. You will have the best deck that money can buy, I assure you, and I have had them all, over the years. Tandberg is hands down the best. But after this much time, your definatelly due for a full restoration. It will cost you a bit, but you will be very happy. I will continue to look for Tandberg Experts, in the UK, and send what I find to you here. My guy, here in NYC, would have that deck fully restored in 2 weeks time, once he received it. He is the absolute best, all he does is Tandbergs. And has done so for many many years, way back before this unit was even built. Best, Ray

Last edited by Michael Maurice; 24th Mar 2010 at 4:54 pm. Reason: removal of preceding quote
Old 24th Mar 2010, 3:38 pm   #6
rayr0683
Triode

Hey Pete,
Here is another place I found, they seem to work on all the classics, and give a 1 year guarantee on the deck once finished. Ray

http://www.londonsound.org/repairs.htm

Last edited by Michael Maurice; 24th Mar 2010 at 4:55 pm. Reason: removal of preceeding quote again
Closed Thread