UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2010, 2:10 pm   #1
Sammyboy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grundig Elite Boy 600 not as sensitive as it should be?

I recently got a very nice looking Grundig Elite Boy 600 - but it doesn't seem to be quite as sensitive or good sounding as my rather battered Elite Boy 500 that has the top 3 'stories' of it's aerial missing and replaced with a screw!

The 500 has a warmer, bassier sound and just picks up Radio Nottingham 103.8 from here in Lichfield, whilst the 600 picks up nothing but static on that frequency despite the intact aerial and I think a couple of extra transistors/diodes etc.?

Is there a slight fault with the Elite Boy 600? It still picks up more stations on FM than a modern portable but not as good as the 500 - was there variance in the quality of sets produced by Grundig in the '70s or is something slightly out of spec on the 600? Bear in mind I'm not very experienced with restoring sets, just taking them apart and cleaning the internals is as far as I get, though I do have a soldering iron and a multimeter!
Old 9th Feb 2010, 11:06 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig Elite Boy 600 not as sensitive as it should be?

Look around the aerial connections - any little caps nearby as well?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 10th Feb 2010, 5:57 pm   #3
Sammyboy
Retired Dormant Member

I've had a look in both the Elite Boy 500 and 600 radios and both areas look the same. I took a picture of the aerial connector and (I think) the tuner matrix thingy - the first two pictures are of those in the 600, the second two from the 500.

Nothing seems out of place or loose - can't see any 'caps' nearby - I should probably know this by now but what are 'caps' - capacitors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1902.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	32478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1905.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	32479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1906.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	32480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1908.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	32481  
Old 10th Feb 2010, 6:12 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

What are the two sets like on AM?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 10th Feb 2010, 7:09 pm   #5
Sammyboy
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers for the replies Steve Both seem virtually identical, and tried them both on FM and seem similar! I guess either the problem is intermittent or the previous times i tried the sets together I was mistaken!

I'm kind of hoping it's the latter even though it'll make me look a bit of a wally! :p
Old 10th Feb 2010, 8:03 pm   #6
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Grundig Elite Boy 600 not as sensitive as it should be?

If three sections of the FM aerial are missing this would account for the poor performance. I would not even think of touching the tuner so long as it still tunes, or FM module (in the can). Chances are the capacitors are ok, other faults can be a cracked printed circuit around the aerial input if the set has been badly treated.

A piece of wire about a yard long, stripped at one end and wrapped around the aerial should improve the reception on FM

Two radios tuned to the same station and close together can cause damping or quietening of the signal on AM which is nearer to the AM intermediate frequency on medium wave.
Old 10th Feb 2010, 8:35 pm   #7
Sammyboy
Retired Dormant Member

The problem is that the radio with the 3 sections of the aerial missing is the one that appears to be performing better than the one with the intact aerial, apologies if I wasn't clear - the Elite Boy 600 has the intact aerial and possible slightly worse FM performance and the Elite Boy 500 is the one with the damaged aerial and seemingly better sensitivity

Cheers for the technical information though Geofy the PCB looks intact around on both radios btw.
Old 11th Feb 2010, 12:16 pm   #8
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello, now bearing in mind that I know not a lot about anything really, what happens if the good aerial is shortened to the same length as the aerial with the missing sections? How do the radio's compare then?
Just something silly to try.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 11th Feb 2010, 6:49 pm   #9
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Hello !
As the two antennas looks the same, try swapping them and see if the "fault" follows ...
It could also be an IF strip out of alignment on the FM circuits.
Old 11th Feb 2010, 6:52 pm   #10
Sammyboy
Retired Dormant Member

I might try that later, swapping the aerials around and see if that makes a difference to either radio!

Edit: Maybe not, just taken one apart and looks like the aerial is soldered into position by a metal plate, my soldering skills aren't competent enough for this task I'm afraid!

Last edited by Sammyboy; 11th Feb 2010 at 7:06 pm.
Closed Thread