UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2009, 2:18 pm   #1
Clockwork_TV
Pentode

Angry Yamaha MT1X jammed playhead (cassette)

Hi All
I've got a Yamaha MT1X 4-track cassette recorder which I bought in the 80's. A long while back I was playing a cassette and managed to get the play head jammed in the play position (so can't put in a tape and the motor is engaged).

I think it had something to do with the 'automatic zero stop'. When you rewound, the the tape would auto stop at zero on the counter. I think I did something weird like press the zero reset and play button at the same time (no idea why!). this just jammed the head in play. No matter what buttons I press nothing will disengage it.
The counter is mechanical.

Any ideas please?
Old 19th Jan 2009, 2:40 pm   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Yamaha MT1X jammed playhead (cassette)

Is the cassette still in the machine? If so you will have to rewind the capstan/flywheel by hand in reverse direction to release tape, also it may complete the sequence./ Then check/replace belt/s , it may well be that the belt/s are stretched & unable to complete the play sequence. If cassette not in the machine try & complete the sequence by hand as above, then check the belt/s replace.

Colin
Old 19th Jan 2009, 2:43 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

as doffery says, you will need to manually move the mechanism. Very common failure, a slack drive belt which, besides moving the capstan, also powers the deck mechanism. whatever you do , do not force anything!
Old 19th Jan 2009, 3:19 pm   #4
Clockwork_TV
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFFERY View Post
Is the cassette still in the machine? If so you will have to rewind the capstan/flywheel by hand in reverse direction to release tape, also it may complete the sequence./ Then check/replace belt/s , it may well be that the belt/s are stretched & unable to complete the play sequence. If cassette not in the machine try & complete the sequence by hand as above, then check the belt/s replace.

Colin
Hi

The cassette was in but I broke it up bit by bit and removed it hoping it would somehow release it (and put the tape in another case). But no. I'll try rewinding the capstan as you say.

Thanks
John
Old 19th Jan 2009, 3:55 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

As Ben says, please be careful, I would try moving the flywheel in the forward direction rather than reverse so as to complete the cycle, dont force anything, and if you cant move it in the forward direction then by all means try reverse.

As Colin says the most likely cause is a slack belt.

Please let us know how you get on.
Old 20th Jan 2009, 6:12 pm   #6
Clockwork_TV
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
As Ben says, please be careful, I would try moving the flywheel in the forward direction rather than reverse so as to complete the cycle, dont force anything, and if you cant move it in the forward direction then by all means try reverse.

As Colin says the most likely cause is a slack belt.

Please let us know how you get on.
Ach, why are things never straight forward - I tried turning the flywheel but it's too small and fiddly for fingers. I can't open the unit really because of wiring and also the pushed out head stops it. Any ideas how to grip the capstan to turn it.

Cheers
John
Old 20th Jan 2009, 6:47 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

John,

Don't try to grip the capstan with anything hard, or you'll wreck it. Maybe you could turn it using a piece of rubber tubing pushed onto it.

But I would really try to turn the flywheel first. If your fingers won't reach it, try something else. A slim screwdriver with a bit of rubber sleeving over the end could possibly be used to rotate it. Only a turn or two will be required.

Or maybe you need to dismantle a bit more first.

Can we have some pics?

Nick.
Old 21st Jan 2009, 9:54 am   #8
Mike-repairman
Heptode

I've done dozens of decks with this fault and 99% of the time it's been because of a slack main drive belt, as has been mentioned in the previous posts. Spinning the capstan flywheel in the normal play direction with a small screwdriver normally returns it to the start position and releases the head mechanism.

If it's got really shiny on the used side you can flip over the belt to it's unused side but this is only a temporary measure; it will eventually need replacing. This can be an easy or near impossible exercise according to the make or model. I had one which was impossible save completely dismantling the deck which would have been uneconomic to do.

Mike
Old 21st Jan 2009, 2:31 pm   #9
TIMTAPE
Octode

I'm not sure about your model but on some it's almost impossible to refit the new belt once the capstan motor is reinstalled.

I've seen provision made for this on some models in the form of small pegs moulded into the chassis. The idea is to thread the belt around the capstan flywheels and then onto the peg(s) to maintain tension on the belt around the flywheels. Then once the motor is reinstalled you use a small hook to lift the belt off the peg and onto the motor's pulley. Saves a lot of bother!

Cheers Tim
Old 24th Jan 2009, 5:49 pm   #10
Clockwork_TV
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
John,

Don't try to grip the capstan with anything hard, or you'll wreck it. Maybe you could turn it using a piece of rubber tubing pushed onto it.

But I would really try to turn the flywheel first. If your fingers won't reach it, try something else. A slim screwdriver with a bit of rubber sleeving over the end could possibly be used to rotate it. Only a turn or two will be required.

Or maybe you need to dismantle a bit more first.

Can we have some pics?

Nick.

Hi

Well I had another go. To get at the capstan I had to move the pinch roller out of the way which was pressing against it (spring loaded). Whilst messing about the pinch roller which was against it stopped coming out. With more fiddling I managed to turn the capstan with my fingers and when I plugged it in the head retracted - hurragh! This also enabled me to open up the unit though only so much as there are some wires restricting this.

But then I found on pressing play that the play mechanism won't come out properly or only with some jiggery pokery and the pinch roller is just loose and doesn't have anything pushing it onto the capstan (which seems to be rotating fine)
I think there was a spring or something but now I can't see it. Maybe I've broken something!

I've attached some photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CapstanMT1X.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	22622   Click image for larger version

Name:	CapstanMT1X_2.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	22623  

Last edited by Clockwork_TV; 24th Jan 2009 at 6:07 pm.
Old 24th Jan 2009, 5:59 pm   #11
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hi clockwork, I think we have all tried to ensure you turn the "flywheel" not the capstan shaft. However it would appear you may have displaced the pinch wheel spring. What I cannot understand is why you could not remove the cover from the machine & turn the flywheel ("wires in the way" )I confess I am confounded by this ?

Colin
Old 24th Jan 2009, 5:59 pm   #12
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_TV View Post
[
But then I found on pressing play that the play mechanism won't come out properly or only with some jiggery pokery and the pinch roller is just loose and doesn't have anything pushing it onto the capstan s
unclip the clip on top of the pinch roller assembly, put it carefulyl to one side .lift off the pinch and refit with the spring under it in the right place. it should become clearer once you're in there.
Old 24th Jan 2009, 6:19 pm   #13
Clockwork_TV
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFFERY View Post
Hi clockwork, I think we have all tried to ensure you turn the "flywheel" not the capstan shaft. However it would appear you may have displaced the pinch wheel spring. What I cannot understand is why you could not remove the cover from the machine & turn the flywheel ("wires in the way" )I confess I am confounded by this ?

Colin
Because it's a naff design that means the 'lid' (I use that term loosely as it's also the sides) goes under the keys and aswell around the heads and is a very snug fit. So with the play head sticking out it was impossible to remove it. When you do remove it there is circuitry in the lid and the bottom part joined by all sorts of wires which don't expand very far. So there was no way I could get at the flywheel.
Old 24th Jan 2009, 7:26 pm   #14
Clockwork_TV
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_TV View Post
[
But then I found on pressing play that the play mechanism won't come out properly or only with some jiggery pokery and the pinch roller is just loose and doesn't have anything pushing it onto the capstan s
unclip the clip on top of the pinch roller assembly, put it carefulyl to one side .lift off the pinch and refit with the spring under it in the right place. it should become clearer once you're in there.
Hey Nice One!

I couldn't get the clip off - it was way too strong to not damage it (is there a knack to it?). But I could see the spring underneath. With a lot of trial and error I managed to get it with pliars and screw driver and hook it over (and bend it back into shape) in the right place. This also fixed the play head coming out problem.

Cheers
John
Closed Thread