UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2008, 11:43 pm   #1
igranic
Rest in Peace

Default Taylor 45c & 45b Software!

Following on from my previous thread on the Taylor 45c variants, and based on the responses received, I have finally completed a prototype windows program which will, as far as is possible, both construct and deconstruct the ABC switch settings for the 45c & 45b valve pin connections.

In other words, for any given valve socket it will, from a pin-by-pin list of electrodes, determine the required positions of the ABC switches.
Conversely, given the ABC switch positions, it will provide a list of electrodes and corresponding pin numbers. This can be helpful when attempting to determine the settings for valves not included in the Valve Charts, and for checking the Valve Charts for errors; of which there are quite a few.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UI.gif
Views:	608
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	14286

In exchange
for a copy of your 45c wiring chart (typically found on page 4 of the user manual, example shown below) AND the serial number, I will provide a copy of the program tailored (taylored?) to your particular variant of the 45c. For obvious reasons, the program will only be provided on the clear understanding that (i) it is prototype software, (ii) that results should not be relied upon, and (iii) settings must always be carefully checked in order to avoid damage to either the 45c/45b or the valve under test.

Name:	Blank_Wiring_Chart.gif
Views:	336
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	14285

However, in order to avoid being swamped with requests from individuals who wish to test their "Yellow Print, triangular getter, Wetwang factory coded, cryogenically treated valves (with gold plated pins)", I will only provide a copy of the program to either Forum members of three months standing with at least five meaningful posts, or current BVWS members.

If you would like a copy of the program, please send me a PM with your name, location, private email address, and serial number of your 45c/45b. I will respond with a request for your wiring chart, which can be sent as an attachment to your reply. I will email a customized version of the program by return. Please bear in mind that if your manual was obtained separately from the 45c/45b (either during or previous to your ownership) then there is a strong possibility that the wiring chart does not match the machine. If this is the case, and you feel technically competent, then the wiring chart can be derived using the method described in my previous thread.

In any case, unexpected test results from known good valves could indicate that either the valve chart does not match the version of the 45c, or one of the rotary switch wafers has a fault. In which case, manually deriving the wiring chart can help point to the location of the fault.

When I have gathered a more representative sample of Wiring Charts and Serial Numbers I my well produce a new, more generic version of the program capable of handling all known variants of the 45c & 45b.

Happy New Year

Edward

Last edited by igranic; 2nd Jan 2008 at 11:48 pm.
Old 16th Jan 2008, 2:25 am   #2
igranic
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Taylor 45c & 45b Software!

As no one has yet posted a reply here, it seems like a good idea to report on progress. I have received quite a few contacts, some through PM and some direct from forum members who already have my private email address.

Some of these contacts have generously provided some very interesting material, including a late addendum to the Valve Tables from which I have been able to deduce the 'official' Taylor 45c modification to enable testing of the ECL86 and similar later valve types.

So far I have been able to provide ten copies of the prototype program, with a number of positive comments and no complaints received so far.
I would, nonetheless, be grateful for feedback from those who have not yet been able to do so.

So keep sending in those wiring charts and serial numbers and get your free software!

Edward
Old 27th Feb 2008, 10:14 pm   #3
peulanse
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Igranic,
I own a Taylor (Windsor) Model 45C, with original instruction manual, valve chart (1/59) and a number of corrections and updates. The instrument has a number T430338, a small plate just above the meter.
I also have a load of tubes (some 100... It's a gift from an old relative who stopped a hobby).
I just became member of this forum; my reason to do so was that I hoped somebody had already converted all the valve charts into an XLS file, simplifying the search for a particular tube type. But it seems that you have done better; you made a program for it...
My copy of the circuit diagram is attached; the 200 kB limit forced me to downgrade the scan a bit. If you are interested in a better copy, I can mail you one.
I can also provide you a list of all the corrections and upgrade sheets; some are dated with April 1961. Or I can scan them. But will be a big attachment....
Hopefully you find my info enough to honor me with a copy of your software.

Best regards, Frans
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	taylor1.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	15545  
Old 27th Feb 2008, 11:46 pm   #4
peulanse
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Taylor 45c Valve Tester - a caution -and an appeal for information sharing

Edward,
Further to my message earlier today: The additions and alterations on the valve chart are as follows:
- April 1960 (2 sheets "Additions and Amendments", many with note 13)
- April 1961 (1 sheet alterations, 1 sheet additions)
- May 1961 (3 sheets additions)
- August 1963 (6 sheets)

I think that the list is cumulative, so the 1963 list contains all previous changes.

Frans
Old 29th Feb 2008, 12:56 am   #5
igranic
Rest in Peace

Frans,

Thank you for all the information in your two postings. There always seems to be some interesting information hidden away in the amendment sheets.

I already have the August 1963 (6 sheets) amendments, but it would be most helpful if you could send me scans by private email of the following:
- April 1960 (2 sheets) "Additions and Amendments", many with note 13)
- April 1961 (1 sheet alterations, 1 sheet additions)
- May 1961 (3 sheets additions)
- The Valve Base Wiring Chart (usually page 4 of the manual). It should look something like this:

Name:	Blank_Wiring_Chart2.gif
Views:	331
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	15572

I can then send the program specific to your particular valve chart and serial number.

I will send you a PM with my private email address

Regards
Edward

Last edited by igranic; 29th Feb 2008 at 1:04 am.
Closed Thread