UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2023, 9:10 pm   #1
citronicman
Triode

Default Garrard 86SB

I am trying to get a useable 86sb I have brought at least 6 now, every one has the same problem. The platter is sitting too low on the spindle and will not rotate properly. I think there must be a bearing or something to lift it up a bit I have tried putting a tiny washer on the spindle and this seems to work but this can't be right.
Also on the latest one the motor is really noisy I suspect the balance weight has come adrift in the motor, I have had this before on SP25s and have tried sticking it back but it's a hit or miss thing. Is there any easy way to fix the motors ?
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 11:46 am   #2
Trevor
Octode

Default Re: Garrard 86SB

Ita a long time ago but I seem to remember a ball bearing at the top of the bearing spindle and the turntable was hung on this Have you any pictures to post
I like the 86SB and thought it looked very modern for the time
Trev
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 11:49 am   #3
OldTechFan96
Octode

I did a nut and bolt restoration of a Garrard Zero 100SB last year which is almost identical to your 86SB.

Do you know what part the platter is making contact with? Mark what you suspect with a marker pen and have the platter rub it off

I'm not too sure how the platter could be sitting lower than it should unless something is excessively worn. Are you sure that the platter is pushed all the way down?

Looking at the service manual for the Zero 100/86SB, the thrust casing sits on top of the turntable spindle housing.

The ball bearing that sits on top of the spindle housing could be worn down. If you remove the thrust casing from the platter there is some anti friction material that also could have worn down.
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 12:12 pm   #4
Cathovisor
Banned

It's not the "balance weight" that has come adrift in the motor but part of the rotor that makes it effectively a self-starting synchronous motor - a true synchronous motor is not self-starting.

Rarely I have seen NOS rotors for sale on eBay. Then you have the joy of getting the motor pulley off if it's an interference fit one.
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 7:39 pm   #5
citronicman
Triode

I think it must be the ball bearing that is missing . The platter touchs the base all the way round and will not turn unless forced round by hand. It wont turn by the motor. I will take some pics of it tomorrow and post them also of the motor. All the decks I have brought the platter has come off in transit so guessing the ball bearing has been lost.

I have several others with good motors so can rob one from another deck.

Thanks for all replys.
Old 24th Apr 2023, 8:16 am   #6
peter_sol
Octode

Is the ball missing from the top of the spindle?
Old 24th Apr 2023, 8:43 am   #7
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
I don't think there is a ball. There's nothing in the service manual to show one.

Make sure the three screws in the centre of the turntable are not loose. This will cause your fault.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 24th Apr 2023, 9:04 am   #8
OldTechFan96
Octode

A photo of the spindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	277276  
Old 24th Apr 2023, 10:51 am   #9
peter_sol
Octode

Thank you for the picture.
maybe someone can compare with theirs.
if the ball is worn you can try a small washer on top
These things are old and worn so a bodge is sometimes needed.
Old 24th Apr 2023, 12:22 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

Would there have been a hardened plate inserted up the hole of the rotating part for that ball to bear on? If so, they could have come out and got lost when the platters came off.

David
Old 24th Apr 2023, 1:31 pm   #11
CrazySwede
Tetrode

I think David may be onto something: I think also there is a thrust pad inside the hole in the platter where the spindle goes. This may have to be replaced.

I think I also heard somewhere that on these, if shipped with platter mounted, there is a risk that the platter "hammers down" the spindle in its mounting bracket.
I also recall reading somewhere that it can be tapped out again from the underside. But this i s just hearsay from me... Grain of salt neded.
Old 24th Apr 2023, 7:25 pm   #12
citronicman
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
I have had a proper look at it today ,the ball bearing is there , see photo

I have added a small spacer under the spindle that raises the platter, the platter now runs so smoothly it continues to rotate for several seconds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	86sb 1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	277320  

Last edited by citronicman; 24th Apr 2023 at 7:32 pm.
Old 24th Apr 2023, 7:43 pm   #13
citronicman
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySwede View Post
I think David may be onto something: I think also there is a thrust pad inside the hole in the platter where the spindle goes. This may have to be replaced.

I think I also heard somewhere that on these, if shipped with platter mounted, there is a risk that the platter "hammers down" the spindle in its mounting bracket.
I also recall reading somewhere that it can be tapped out again from the underside. But this i s just hearsay from me... Grain of salt neded.
This would make a lot of sense and needs looking at

I have had a look at the motor part of it has come unstuck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	86sb 2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	277322  

Last edited by citronicman; 24th Apr 2023 at 7:50 pm.
Closed Thread