UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2020, 12:00 pm   #1
PyeMan29
Diode

Default Pye 1005 Achoic Pickup Questions

Hello, after admiring the Pye 1005 Achoic record player for some time, I've finally manage to buy one. However, although it's in fairly good condition and plays & sounds ok, it is missing the red selector button on the top of the tone arm for rotating the stylus. I know there have been similar threads here, but I wondered if I could ask a few questions that are slightly different ?

The service sheet I purchased from this site states that to change the stylus, pull off the red selector button (if only !!), release and remove the spiral spring and the stylus assembly will fall out. As I mentioned, the button is missing, but after removing the front and top screws, and dropping the cartridge assembly, there is a spiral spring located in the hole in the tone arm, facing downwards, and another holding the stylus shank in position on top of the cartridge assembly.

My question is, should they be there, or does anyone think they have been put there to compensate for the missing red button ??

There are several sites selling new cartridges, but most of these are bare cartridges without the selector button. Would anyone know where I can buy a red selector button ?? I can then purchase a new stylus and all will be well.

Finally (and out of curiosity) a previous thread states that the selector button has 'LP' and 'SO' stamped on it. When these players were new, was there a different stylus/button to enable 78's to be played ??

Many thanks.
Old 4th Oct 2020, 1:37 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye 1005 Achoic Pickup Questions

Without actually seeing a photo, what you describe seems about right i.e. not "added".
The 1005 unit was only ever designed to be used for microgroove records and not 78s. Also it was only ever designed to be used with this Pye "Butterfly" cartridge. Finding these red, serrated, fittings is not easy. It might be possible to have a copy 3D printed? Or make one out of a button, painted red, drilled to push fit on to the top spigot. It must be very light as there is no real adjustment on the unique tone arm. This is a special of the BSR UA15 autochanger made for this model only.
Old 4th Oct 2020, 3:41 pm   #3
PyeMan29
Diode

Many thanks. From your reply, you seem to imply that the shank of the stylus should protrude up above the tone arm, wheras the one I have is below the top surface of the arm, hence I cannot depress or rotate the stylus. If this is the case, the top part of the stylus shank on mine must have been broken off, and maybe a new stylus with the shank protruding would help

Then maybe I can make something to fit. Does this sound sensible to you ??
Old 4th Oct 2020, 4:49 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There should be a metal spigot coming up just above the top of the tone arm head for the red swivel fitting to tightly connect to. Search out a photo of a complete Butterfly cartridge and you'll see what I mean. As implied, we really need a photo of yours.
Old 4th Oct 2020, 5:09 pm   #5
PyeMan29
Diode

Hi, I've attached some pictures to illustrate what I was asking.

Thanks again for your advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cartridge 1.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	217004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stylus Shank 1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	217005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tone Arm 1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	217006  
Old 5th Oct 2020, 9:49 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, that's it. As advised, the red (missing) fitting pushes firmly onto the top part of the spigot most clearly shown in Photo #2. It fits through the centre hole in the tone arm head (Photo #3) with the spring compressed to the underside/inside of the head.
Old 10th Oct 2020, 1:07 pm   #7
PyeMan29
Diode

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I have now managed to obtain a 'new, old stock' replacement stylus. However, the length of the shank on the new butterfly stylus is the same as the original, so therefore when I re-assemble the cartridge assembly into the tone arm (assuming I can remember how, because I was so eager when I took it off I didn't make any notes, silly me) I will be in the same situation - the top of the stylus shank will be BELOW the top of the tone arm. Therefore, I will not be able to fashion anything to fit over the top of the shank.

In your opinion, if this is incorrect, does it suggest the cartridge assembly has previously been installed incorrectly, or maybe there is something wrong with the front of the tone arm such that the cartridge assembly is not located high enough ??

Many thanks.
Old 10th Oct 2020, 1:24 pm   #8
Station X

Is it possible that the knob should have an extended boss which passes through the hole in the tone arm?

EDIT.

Yes that's what Edward said in post #6.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Oct 2020, 5:27 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You will need to gently push the red cartridge body up so it comes under some pressure from the spring (that fits over the spigot) above it. Then the spigot will appear through the aperture in the top of the tone arm head. Still holding firmly, you then push the red fitting onto it. Be careful that you do not get any sweat/stickiness from your hands onto the two styli and their cantilever.
Old 10th Oct 2020, 7:47 pm   #10
leslie5555
Heptode

These players are the most difficult players to restore in all my years of restoration, but with patience and determination once achieved will produce a very satisfying sound. Hope you get it sorted.
Old 11th Oct 2020, 2:08 pm   #11
Benjamin
Triode

55 years old and it's still amazing. Serviced,new speaker cloth,cartridge and stylus. It'll last me a lifetime. Definitely worth restoring one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201011_135626.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	217604   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201011_135544.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	217605  
Closed Thread