UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2019, 12:38 am   #1
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Akai 1710

I have also 1710 and the leader of the tape keeps rolling of the pinch roller towards the inner side of the recorder after you reset it on the actual brown tape it will play ok .I have put a new rubber on the roller but still the same any one know what might be wrong please
Old 2nd Nov 2019, 1:13 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai 1710

Check the back tension - this can fall as the clutch felts age, and up to a point can be adjusted by shifting the counter pulley on the underside of the supply clutch slightly. It needs to be high enough to prevent spillage at the beginning of a reel but not so high as to cause wow at the end.
Old 2nd Nov 2019, 1:35 am   #3
TIMTAPE
Octode

Equally, excessive take up tension can can contribute. Felt clutches can increase in torque over time. Best to check both tensions as per the service manual.
Old 3rd Nov 2019, 1:00 pm   #4
Dorian27
Heptode

I have looked at the manual I downloaded and it says to check the main coil spring and washer but it does not tell you what you should do .Do I put in a thicker washer or stretch the coil spring slightly or nether can any one advise please
Old 3rd Nov 2019, 1:17 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

How far are the tensions out?

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Nov 2019, 2:52 pm   #6
TIMTAPE
Octode

Yes as ms says you need first to measure the tensions with an empty reel, a piece of cord wound around the hub, and attached to a spring gauge as per the manual. There shouldnt be too much "limiting friction" or "sticking" either. The clutches should begin to slip smoothly.
Old 6th Nov 2019, 9:48 am   #7
saxmaniac
Heptode

I've gone through all this and it seems that you have to use trial and error placing or removing shims in whatever order gets it to work. I found it's better to err on the side of lowest tension that will allow take up to work and on feed spool, getting enough tension over the head. Thinner tapes give the greatest problems
Old 10th Nov 2019, 7:07 pm   #8
unitelex
Hexode

I would also check the surface condition of the pinch roller, should be oil/grease free and mat finish and soft. If hard, dirty or shiny etc use meths solvent to clean then Platenclene to rejuvenate it
Closed Thread