UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Dec 2018, 2:23 pm   #1
mark2collection
Hexode

Default Avo 8, Very Early MKII (Nice Find)

Yesterday, whilst escaping the house and avoiding the high street, we ventured through the mist & patchy fog and found our way to an antiques centre for a cuppa and some nibbles.

Once refreshed, we perused the multitude of rooms, not expecting to find an Avo 8 sat on a shelf, never mind an early MKII, with leads, probes, crocodile clips, working instructions (user guide), a 24-page 'Electrical Testing Instruments' Sales pamphlet with accessories price-list, all seemingly contained within its original packaging. A black BLR151, also found in the box.

I must confess to expect the batteries to have been left inside the instrument, and yet, it was as fresh as a daisy in there, complete with 1.5V-cell retaining clip! The asking price was very reasonable for an untested item, I made a cheeky 'festive' offer in the spirit of things & the deal was done.

This morning, the instrument was tested on Volts with some batteries, comparing the results with my much younger Fluke 115, both instruments singing the same tune

Looking at previous posts & looking around online, if I'm reading the movement details correctly, the date for the unit is January 1956 (the documents are both dated June and July 1955).

Other observations, the battery cover has provisions to stash probes under a rotating spring-clip, the 'red' terminal post, there's not 500V range, with other ranges from 2.5V, 25V, 250V and 2500V and Decibels on the movement dial. The instruction plate on the rear's also in good condition. The paperwork, a little crinkled, but not yellowed.

Plans for the instrument? When I return to work mid-January 2019, I shall give it a gentle clean, a thorough test, service as required, then a complete 'calibration' vs one of our truly calibrated instruments.

Some of the lettering in the photos around the controls looks rubbed off, it hasn't, the unit is really rather grubby.

I think it would've been rude to leave it there on the shelf(?)

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Bits & Bobs.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	175284   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Close Up.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	175285   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 Instructions.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	175286   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 Brochure.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	175287   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 Booklets Close & Date.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	175288  

Old 28th Dec 2018, 2:30 pm   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: Avo 8, Very Early MKII (Nice Find)

Looks to be in very nice condition - probably bought at about the same time as my Dad bought his - I found the original instruction book only the other day.

As an aside the address for Avocet house at that time, 92 - 96 Vauxhall Bridge Road, was directly opposite my Grandmothers house, 95 Vauxhall Bridge Road.
Old 28th Dec 2018, 3:24 pm   #3
pmmunro
Octode

Mark,

Congratulations on a really fine find. This must be one of the very first Model 8 MARK II meters so the serial number will be an important inclusion in the Avometer survey.

PMM
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 11:55 am   #4
Wendymott
Octode

Nice find...... I always maintained that the 8 Mk 2 and 3 were the best......Mk 4's and above.. in my view were never to be as good. I still have my MK 3, purchased from AC Farnell in 1965, 5 shillings a week from my wage packet.. into my component account at my employers.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 12:11 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

I agree. It occurs to me that all but one of my working examples came from charitable institutions of some sort- it's very likely someone has only parted with them because they moved on to the next world. This is a fundamental reason why i object to them being drilled in the name of fashion- they transcend fashion..

Dave
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 9:04 am   #6
Sinewave
Octode

Very nice find!