UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 7th Dec 2017, 8:58 pm   #1
Beechcraft100
Diode

Default Does anybody remember Project Omega from Ham Radio Today?

I remember in my early 20's taking 2 years to build this all mode transceiver full option only to get divorced and the whole radio get smashed to pieces by my long gone ex wife?
I am now in my 50's and as a project would like to build it again from scratch but i am struggling to get all the articles and drawings.
Would anyone as old as me or older on here have a full set i can either beg, borrow or buy? It mist be complete and in good condition, especially as i will have to manufacture the PCB's

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Andy G0JIA
Beechcraft100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2017, 9:29 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Does anybody remember Project Omega from Ham Radio Today?

Have you tried the online archive:-

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Ham_Radio_Today.htm

Not much there, but you may be lucky.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2017, 4:06 am   #3
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Remember it well...You do know that the authors never got a power amplifier for the transmitter developed to the point where it worked reliably and stably?

To build an Omega that worked, you'd have to find an alternative. Maybe the Chris Honey 10 Watt design, or one of Communications Concepts inc's kits for a Helge Granberg Motorola app note design? The authors were trying to avoid expensive mainstream RF power transistors.

The rest of it looked rather interesting at the time.

David
Old 8th Dec 2017, 8:00 pm   #4
dodgy-dxer
Pentode

I can only add from a bit of Googling that you are looking for 1983 HRT Magazines

These are *probably* in my loft if you have patience until the Christmas holidays. I used to subscribe when I lived in Kuwait until Dec 84 and my mother posted them out to me, I think I kept getting them until it expired?

A loft clear out of never read magazines is long overdue!

Also an 2015 club magazine has an article and G0AYD (a member here, rings a bell?) mentions having all the articles

http://www.arac.org.uk/AracNews-1507.pdf

73 Fred
G4BWP
dodgy-dxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2017, 7:38 pm   #5
Beechcraft100
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Remember it well...You do know that the authors never got a power amplifier for the transmitter developed to the point where it worked reliably and stably?

To build an Omega that worked, you'd have to find an alternative. Maybe the Chris Honey 10 Watt design, or one of Communications Concepts inc's kits for a Helge Granberg Motorola app note design? The authors were trying to avoid expensive mainstream RF power transistors.
I remember i purchased the transistors direct from Tony. Eneb in 1984 they cost me 95 quid a pair.
It actually worked once constructed and had excellent specifications. I remember it well.
I will rebuild another one just so i can say i did it lol
#
Andy G0JIA
Old 7th Feb 2018, 5:30 am   #6
Beechcraft100
Diode

Hi Fred

Did you ever find the Omega articles in the Loft?

Andy G0JIA

73's Andy
G0JIA