UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2017, 8:50 pm   #1
Glasgow67
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony TC500A

Had this beast for over 50 years. Not played for 30. Is it worth getting serviced? I have some tapes I want transferred, am I better just getting them done without the repair of the recorder?
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 9:34 pm   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sony TC500A

It's a pretty decent model, and well worth restoring if you're going to make use of it in future.
If not, I guess it depends how many tapes you need to transfer, and whether you're willing to do the servicing yourself. Parts are unlikely to be expensive, but you will have to invest some time. There's a bit of a learning curve too, if you haven't done this sort of thing before.
Either way, don't throw it out - someone here is certain to want it if you decide you don't!
Old 24th Nov 2017, 11:45 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

For the cost of a couple of belts and some sewing machine oil, well worth checking over. You can still buy excellent (and not NOS) 7" reel-to-reel tape.
Old 25th Nov 2017, 1:20 am   #4
Glasgow67
Retired Dormant Member

Not knowledgeable at all here. How much would a service cost?
Old 25th Nov 2017, 9:12 am   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

It's a valve machine, so might need the usual caps replacing too.
Closed Thread