UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2017, 8:01 pm   #1
daveyboy1a
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush SRP 41 Case Clean

Hi,

Just restoring a Bush SRP41 Record Player and my final task is to clean the case, which is a leather look material, I have tried Stardrops but wondering if anyone has used any other cleaning materials for similar jobs.

Many thanks

Dave.
Old 7th Nov 2017, 9:42 pm   #2
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Bush SRP 41 Case Clean

I successfully used Swarfega on mine, though care is needed on the older Rexine materials because it can soften the colour pigment.

Martin
Old 7th Nov 2017, 10:25 pm   #3
Colourstar
Octode

To do the job properly, take off all the hinges and catches first and keep them safe. I usually strip out the entire cabinet for cleaning, or as much as is practical.

I've had great results with a soap bar such as Astonish Stain Remover, or even one of the old style green bars of Fairy soap. If you use that with a bowl of warm water and either a sponge scourer pad (or nail brush if the dirt is badly ingrained) it should do the trick. Wipe off the soapy residue with a clean damp cloth and then leave it to dry. It leaves the rexine clean and with a nice feel to it. To finish, a very small amount of spray furniture polish (spray on the cleaning cloth rather than on the cabinet) will buff up a nice sheen when the case is thoroughly dry.

Everyone has their favourite method but that works for me.

Good luck!
Steve
Old 7th Nov 2017, 11:38 pm   #4
daveyboy1a
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks both, I have taken the hinges and catches off and will have a go tomorrow. Managed to get everything else sparkling, the deck has been off and has had a re-spray. Can't wait to get it back together and get some old records playing.
Old 8th Nov 2017, 12:13 am   #5
daveyboy1a
Retired Dormant Member

many thanks both, will have a go at cleaning tomorrow. So far everything else has come up sparkling, deck has been off and had a re-spray. Internal cleansed and regreased. looking forward to getting it back together to listen to some old records.
Old 8th Nov 2017, 12:24 am   #6
paulsherwin

Foaming cleanser spray seems pretty good for most conventional grime. The aerosols are marketed for umpteen different uses - bathrooms, carpets, car upholstery etc. - but it all seems to be much of a muchness. You just spray on a good layer, wait 5 minutes for the foam to break down, then wipe it off with a rag.

If some of the surface colour leaches out during cleaning you can probably bring it back with some meths or IPA after it's dried out.
Closed Thread