UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2017, 6:43 am   #21
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Re: Gorilla Glue: your experiences & opinions

We tried Gorilla glue at work for various tasks associated with repairing musical instruments. The bottles went in the bin after the first couple of attempts.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 28th Oct 2017, 8:29 am   #22
nebogipfel
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Gorilla Glue (as in the thread title) is the polyurethane glue product. The Gorilla brand is used for a number of other products from the same company, but these are not "Gorilla Glue".
In hobbyist/crafter/maker circles if you say "Gorilla Glue" people will generally assume you mean this hot-melt stuff: http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-hot-glue-sticks

You can't assume everyone understands what you're referring to when you use a brandname without further qualification.
Paul is correct on this point. The original Gorilla Glue was certainly not hot melt. The history of the product is all over the web including ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glue

Sorry can't offer experience of Gorilla products but I suspect as is usually the case, generic "trade" glues do the same job but much cheaper.
Old 28th Oct 2017, 8:47 am   #23
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

From animal to insect.
I knew an aircraft carpenter many years ago who used to use "beetle" wood glue he purloined from work.
It was purple and 2 pack, brilliant stuff. What is it?
Old 28th Oct 2017, 8:57 am   #24
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
What is it?
http://www.bip.co.uk/products-adhesives.htm

Lawrence.
Old 28th Oct 2017, 9:12 am   #25
John M0GLN
Octode

I've never used it or even thought about using it before because the name 'Gorilla' has always made me think it's one of the glues that as soon as the two pieces are put together they immediately stick and cannot be moved if necessary for final alignment, unlike PVA.

John
Old 28th Oct 2017, 9:31 am   #26
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Thank you Lawrence, you really must have too much time on your hands!
Old 28th Oct 2017, 11:01 am   #27
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There's an interesting review of the performance of a range of different wood-glues (including Gorilla glue) here: http://shropshire-woodsmiths.co.uk/woodglue-test/

Done properly with proper glues, the joint can be stronger than the materials it joins.
Old 28th Oct 2017, 11:04 am   #28
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Gorilla Glue: your experiences & opinions

Quote:
You can't assume everyone understands what you're referring to when you use a brand-name without further qualification.
O.K. - point taken & my apologies to anyone who has been accordingly confused. My mistake in not being explicit was a genuine error, based on simple ignorance. However, that mistake is easily rectified.

The product, of which I've made a few experimental joints in softwood, states "Bonds stone, metal, ceramic, glass, wood, foam and more"; 250 ml bottle. I cannot find any other markings nor labellings on the bottle to be more descriptive of this particular variant.

That said, my thanks to all who have constructively commented so far.

Al.
Old 28th Oct 2017, 12:04 pm   #29
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

One advantage of Gorilla Glue (or polyurethane derived glue) is that it loves moisture(before it has set), so if you have damp pieces of wood it uses the moisture as part of the curing process and will expand accordingly to what it has absorbed and fill say a chasm in rotten wood.
Old 28th Oct 2017, 2:01 pm   #30
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
There's an interesting review of the performance of a range of different wood-glues (including Gorilla glue) here: http://shropshire-woodsmiths.co.uk/woodglue-test/
Thanks - a really useful article, which I've bookmarked. White PVA is rather looked-down upon in work, where we glue quite a lot of softwood - from this test, in many circumstances it may be the best option.

We have a number of tensile test machines - this kind of comparison would make a nice student project.
Old 28th Oct 2017, 5:02 pm   #31
emeritus
Dekatron

My vote would also go to Aerolite 306. Dad first got some in the 1950's, and never used his old fish glue pot again. Echoing the observation that glue can be stronger than the wood it joins, the leaflet that came with it recommended taking two pieces of scrap wood, making a cross using a simple 90 degrees overlap joint, and then trying to break it after the adhesive had been allowed to cure. Dad did this and, as the leaflet had envisaged, it took considerable force to break it, failure only taking place by tearing a chunk out of one of the pieces of wood. The only downside is its advised shelf life of 2 years for the powder (I found it OK after 10 years, but on going to my now 20-year-old-plus tin last week, it was unusable). The hardener was originally Formic Acid with an indefinite shelf life, but according to a recent image on the web this has been replaced by something different. The only readily-available national retailer seems to be Axminster Tools, but they are currently showing "out of stock" with delivery expected in 2 weeks or so.

My understanding is that some PVA glues intended for woodwork are acidic. Such glues should preferably not be used on paper or card items that are intended to last as the acid can cause long-term damage.

Edit: Just looked up the article referred to in #27, in which Aerolite 306 came top in performance.

Last edited by emeritus; 28th Oct 2017 at 5:18 pm.
Old 29th Oct 2017, 12:58 pm   #32
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Al, good to see you active on the forum!

I use gorilla glue (the liquid adhesive you describe) frequently.
You can indeed bond wood extremely well, as well as metal and plastic.
It cures with water, even a lot of water, when it froths up into a yellow spongiform mass, quite a lot more voluminous than you started with.

This means it also bubbles up out of two conjoined pieces of wood, which could be unsightly. You can always leave it well clear of your edge if the pieces are a large area.

It scrapes, cuts and sands off nicely when it’s gone off. Until then it is extremely very sticky and will make your hands uncleanable if you don’t wear gloves !!
Old 29th Oct 2017, 3:30 pm   #33
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:

Done properly with proper glues, the joint can be stronger than the materials it joins.
Excellent and comprehensive review with a lot of objectivity - thanks for posting that.

To all intents and purposes, for most ordinary use, PVA seems to be as good as anything for an all-round adhesive. Interesting to note that despite its name implying that it's made from casein (derived milk solids), 'Cascamite' is not a casein based adhesive as I'd always believed - it's urea formaldehyde. The chief merit of Gorilla glue seems to be that being a polyurethane glue, it's happy with timber with a high moisture content - indeed it relies on the presence of moisture to cure.

For normal woodworking I've found Titebond Original to have a shorter open time than PVA and doesn't leave a visible glue line, so it's popular for segmented work in woodturning. You can just hold two segments together by hand for a minute or so and they 'grab', enabling a ring of segments to be quickly glued together before clamping. That's what I used to join the segments together for the turned lidded box below, (a first attempt some years ago, so won't win any prizes).

I do little veneering, and generally still use hide glue for that, which is a bit of a faff, (though you can get cold hide glue). I've not tried the alternative which is to coat the veneer and the surface to which it's being applied, with PVA, then when dry to the touch, to iron on the veneer, which apparently melts the PVA for both surfaces to bond. Obviously much cleaner and no jacketed gluepot called for.

I do have a sad looking Murphy A124 which I intend to re-veneer (sometime whenever), for which I have new veneers for both the front and the end panels. It will be evident that the design - as with many wooden cabinet designs - calls for the veneer to be bent to a tight radius against the grain, with predictable results at the top of the cabinet. It's expecting rather too much to expect the glue to hold the veneer in tension. I think that to stand a good chance of the veneer adhering properly, it will need to be steamed and clamped into shaped in a caul to relieve the stress in the grain before applying the veneer to the cabinet.

So, as I say, 'sometime whenever'! I've got the hide glue, the pot and veneer hammers - I just need to will to bring the set to the top of the 'to do' list.

It will get done - I rather like the set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sycamore and Purpleheart Segmented Box.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	151562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Curvature of front top edge.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	151565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	151566  
Old 29th Oct 2017, 5:55 pm   #34
robin coleman
Hexode

I have used there products for a number of years and had good results especially with the water activated ones.

Good luck PJL with the sash repairs, very good to keep sashes up and running.

Regards, Robin.
Old 29th Oct 2017, 8:40 pm   #35
TimLiggins
Tetrode

Of course, Gorilla glue is PU glue with a price hike. You can get the same stuff in a cartridge at your local builders merchant for a quarter of the price, eg Evostick PU.
Old 29th Oct 2017, 9:08 pm   #36
nebogipfel
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLiggins View Post
You can get the same stuff in a cartridge at your local builders merchant for a quarter of the price eg Evostick PU.........
Yes, that was my point. But I would suggest that the "trade" versions are the same thing but even cheaper than branded products.

If the Gorilla glue chemistry is unique and special in any way, then I'm happy to stand corrected.

Having looked at the Gorilla versions of most glue types, they all look expensive to me.
Old 30th Oct 2017, 11:18 am   #37
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLiggins View Post
Of course, Gorilla glue is PU glue with a price hike.

I don't think it is the same stuff at all. I've used diluted PU for sealing plaster and porous surfaces like cardboard. It is distinctively white and thick, out of the bottle.

The Gorilla Glue we're talking about here is yellow, and when mixed with water or in contact with water, expands into a characteristic foamy mess, before curing.

It is also an absolute horror to get off fingers!
Old 30th Oct 2017, 11:21 am   #38
ms660
Dekatron

""I don't think it is the same stuff at all. I've used diluted PU for sealing plaster and porous surfaces like cardboard. It is distinctively white and thick, out of the bottle.""

Do you mean PVA?

Lawrence.
Old 30th Oct 2017, 11:35 am   #39
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Gorilla Glue: your experiences & opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post
It is also an absolute horror to get off fingers!
My recent experiences with Gorilla Glue have indeed confirmed that. But I also discovered that to remove GG from your fingers, acetone and a piece of clean rag is particularly effective.

Al.
Old 30th Oct 2017, 1:21 pm   #40
greenstar
Octode

Interesting thread. Not wishing to drift ot, I looked up Titebond hide glue - I need a glue that can be dissembled for some situations but that sounded handier than boiling stuff up.. The information on one ebay listing is confusing -
Titebond Genuine Hide Glue 4oz
Titebond II Dark Wood Glue is a dyed version of Titebond II Wood Glue.
Suitable For Wood, Cloth, Leather, Craft
Type Cross-linking polyvinyl acetate

So, although described as 'GENUINE HIDE GLUE', this is a PVA adhesive, not a true animal based hide glue, nor synthetic equivalent, and will not come apart with steaming! I am sure it is an excellent product, so why do they have to mislead people?
Closed Thread