UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2017, 6:22 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Heptode

Default HMV Water Slide Transfer

Looking for a UK source for HMV Water Slide Transfers to match the one shown in the picture below - this is for an HMV 101 Portable Gramophone.

There is an eBay seller based in Peru (!) but the prices are prohibitively expensive, especially when you add p&p.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171019_140456.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	151034  
Old 19th Oct 2017, 9:05 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV Water Slide Transfer

Someone on the forum some time ago posted the scans shown below. I don't know who it was, but they're only low resolution and you can't put quality back into the scans that isn't there in the first place. You'll see that they're two different sizes - I've no idea what size they need to be.

Due to the white on the dog, the square part would need to be printed on white paper and the transfer would need to be cut exactly to the edges of the square or a white border would show. However, the two separate strips of gold lettering would need to be printed onto clear paper as it can't have a white background. I'm not sure the lettering would look when placed on a dark background.

Probably not as helpful a response as you'd wish Alistair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV Logo Waterslide Transfer.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	151038  
Old 19th Oct 2017, 9:16 pm   #3
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

The original of the label David has posted can be found here: http://www.restore-a-gram.co.uk/decals/4591836971
Old 19th Oct 2017, 10:08 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

That was well spotted Joe!

His conclusions as to the limitations of ink-jet/laser printers in printing water-slide transfers are consistent with those that others such as myself and other forum members have found. Namely, transfers printed on clear paper which are applied to a solid light-coloured background (EG a cream painted metal panel as on the Roberts RT1 or WCR dial), are fine.

However, when applied to glass - as in the DAC90A - as you and I discovered, the print looks great on the backing paper, but when the transfer is applied to the glass, it's too 'wishy washy' to be of use, even with the '90A dial lights, which are as dim as a Toc H lamp.

Not sure how professional water-slide transfers are made, (such as for vintage motorbike logos), but I guess it will be some form of screen printing.

Not really much help to Alistair.
Closed Thread