UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 22nd Sep 2017, 2:04 pm   #1
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Default Refurbishing a veneered radio case

Hi,I have a radio case that was in a smoke area for a number of years. Anyone out there able to direct me as to how I might get it looking good again. Regards,Dick
Dick Glennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 6:11 pm   #2
MurphyNut
Hexode

Default Re: Refurbishing a veneered radio case

You might be lucky and find the finish ok under the nicotine, I'd try lightly wiping it with damp cloth. It might take some time and could be a messy job if it's bad, keep washing out the cloth under the tap now and again, you'll be amazed at the orange that will come out.
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 7:08 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Or try foaming cleanser aerosol spray. Spray it on, leave it a couple of mins to fizz, then rub briskly off with a clean dry rag. Repeat until the foam stays white. Then let it dry out for a couple of days and give it a wipe over with Rustins Scratch Cover.

No skill required and the results are often amazing.
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 7:17 pm   #4
Pilot Mariner
Pentode

After a lot of experimentation, I use astonish alloy wheel cleaner. Very cheap and effective on nicotine, I even use it on the electronics.
Just spray on, agitate if required, and watch the brown nicotine just roll off, follow with a rinse.

Last edited by Pilot Mariner; 22nd Sep 2017 at 7:23 pm.
Pilot Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote