UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2017, 4:20 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Heptode

Default KB toaster dial glass. MW/LW

Not much chance I know.
Old 25th Aug 2017, 9:08 am   #2
tim.norris
Pentode

Default Re: KB toaster dial glass. MW/LW

Radio Daze in America have excellent reproductions in stock .
regards, Tim.
Old 25th Aug 2017, 11:36 am   #3
Martin Bush
Octode

I have a toaster somewhere and could possibly do a scan. There would be work involved in producing something from that of course.

"Clip, clop, cloppity cloppity cloppity cloppity high..."
Old 25th Aug 2017, 7:32 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I've attached a scan. Really, it needs a bit of a clean up in Photoshop or whatever as the long 'windows' aren't totally transparent, but it might at least help a little.

Unfortunately - as with radios such as the Bush DAC90A - it has to be printed on transparent water-slide paper and will look fine when printed, varnished with clear acrylic spray and while still on the white backing paper, but when slid off the backing paper and applied to the rear of the glass, (printed in reverse of course), it looks very 'wishy washy'.

Worth a try, and better than nothing, but not a patch on a screen-printed dial.

I've attached two scans - as viewed from the front, and as is required to print a water-slide transfer to be fixed from the rear of the glass. Incidentally, never attempt to slide a transfer off the backing paper or it will crinkle up and be useless. Always place the transfer where you wish to apply it, and slide the backing paper from beneath the transfer while smoothing the transfer onto the glass. If you wet the glass first, it will enable you to adjust the positioning slightly without risking stretching the transfer.

When reading negative feedback from buyers on Amazon etc about water-slide transfer paper ('decal' paper), it's evident that those who complain about the paper being 'rubbish' just aren't up to the task of using it correctly, and are seemingly unable to read and grasp the simple instructions. Not the fault of the paper or the supplier.

I've experimented several times to try to get a more dense and opaque appearance by applying one transfer on top of another, but without success. It's just impossible to get all of the lettering of the second transfer to exactly register accurately with the first one.

Worth printing several transfers on an A4 sheet of decal paper in case of slip-ups or to experiment. Typically 1.00 or so a sheet in packs of 5, 10, 20, hence, not a big outlay.

If you do have a go, make sure that you order the correct ones for your printer - eg, ink-jet or laser, and for transparent dials, (or labels to fit on clear glass valves), use clear paper rather than white. For making logos, labels etc to fix on cabinets or back panels, white paper is generally called for.

Dials are such a focal point of a set, that if your budget allows, a professionally printed one is the way to go. I guess it depends on whether the set has any resale value or is to be a 'keeper'. You might even get lucky and find an original.

Hope that helps a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KB FB10 Dial Scans.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	148403  
Old 26th Aug 2017, 1:33 pm   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

The scan above is better than I'd have achieved.

I have heard of dials being printed on layers of OHP sandwiched between thin glass sheets to achieve better colour density. Will leave it there to avoid going OT.

"Clip, clop, cloppity cloppity cloppity cloppity high..."
Old 30th Aug 2017, 10:08 pm   #6
crackle
Nonode

I uploaded a scan of the KB FB10 to the main website.
Not sure where it is now.
Here is a copy
Mike
Attached Files
File Type: zip KB FB10 dial2.zip (250.4 KB, 26 views)

My collection in the Radio Museum

Last edited by crackle; 30th Aug 2017 at 10:22 pm.
Old 31st Aug 2017, 11:27 am   #7
AC/HL

It'll be in this sticky thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=75881