UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2017, 6:28 pm   #1
Nukeybrown
Hexode

Default Waterslide transfers

Is anyone able to print out on waterslide transfer paper 2 x blaupunkt logos for me, theyre only small 4mm high by 42mm across. Obviously i will pay for any paper , postage etc. I would do it myself on my laser printer but it only prints in black. The logo is widely available online. Thank you kindly
Same as the one attached but a diff colour. Its going on a white background.

Second picture is the colour i need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1192.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	146457   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	146459  

Last edited by Nukeybrown; 19th Jul 2017 at 6:43 pm.
Old 20th Jul 2017, 9:10 am   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Waterslide transfers

Can you clarify what it is that you want please?

I'm not sure if you're asking for two styles of logo, or two copies of the logo as shown in the first pic, but with grey coloured lettering as shown in the second pic, rather than black lettering? EG see the pic that I've attached below, in which I've edited the colour as close as I can to the grey lettering in your second pic, but it could be lighter or darker.

Incidentally, when the image is re-sized to 42mm wide in Photoshop, (which automatically reduces or increases image sizes according to the ratio of the original image), the height of the image is 5mm - not 4mm. If it has to be 4mm high, that can only be done by 'squashing' the letting down by 1mm.

If the transfers are being applied to a solid white background such as a control panel, they could either be on clear decal paper, or white. Clear might be better as there are many shade of white so if printed on the white decal paper, the shade might differ slightly from the white of the panel. A few of each would keep your options open.

If you can clarify what you need, I may be able to help.

PM me if you wish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blaupunkt 1 Grey Lettering.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	146482  
Old 20th Jul 2017, 5:02 pm   #3
Nukeybrown
Hexode

Yes david thats correct but without the blue dot. Its being applied to which background same as in picture 2 so 5mm height would be fine on clear decal paper. I need 2 printed logos but both the grey
Old 20th Jul 2017, 6:43 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

So to be clear, do you mean like the attached pic - just the grey lettering with no blue dot?

If so, with 5mm high lettering it would be 37.3mm long.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blaupunkt  grey no blue dot.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	146515  
Old 20th Jul 2017, 6:49 pm   #5
Nukeybrown
Hexode

Yes david same as the attached picture. 37.5 x 5 would be fine.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 11:33 am   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

OK, PM me your postal name and address please and I'll try to help.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 3:42 pm   #7
Goldie99
Heptode

Hi David - I'm actually looking to make something similar - but monotone black lettering, on a transparent decal paper. I have a suitable laser printer, and was just wondering if you could recommend a good decal transfer paper & supplier ?

I've never made decals before, although I have used them in the old 'Airfix' days...

Thanks,
Alan
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 6:43 pm   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie99 View Post
I have a suitable laser printer, and was just wondering if you could recommend a good decal transfer paper & supplier ?

I've never made decals before, although I have used them in the old 'Airfix' days...

Thanks,
Alan
Until recently I used Crafty Computer paper for years but they seem to have gone bust now, so recently, I've started using a firm called 'Mr Decal Paper' via Amazon. I can only comment on their inkjet paper, of which I've bought both the white and the clear, both of which have worked fine. If you look at negative reviews, be it for inkjet or laser, the issues seem to relate mostly to printer problems, and lack of experience and skill on the part of the individual in applying the transfers. Incidentally, the paper is almost exclusively referred to by the American term - 'decal' paper, rather than 'transfer' paper.

The Mr Decal Paper clear and white inkjet that I've used are:

Clear inkjet:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...oop_bw_c_x_1_w

£4.95 post free for 5 A4 sheets, so near enough £1.00 per A4 sheet, post free.

White inkjet is the same price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006DH7FDY?psc=1

Mr Decal laser papers are these:

White laser:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Print...739790&sr=1-39

Clear laser:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-Print...XAJPJY2M1H243Q

I guess that answers your question, but as you haven't used the paper before, some advice and tips might help reduce the chances of failure.

You need to determine whether white or clear is best for each particular application.

For example, I recently made some top label transfers for the Wartime Civilian Radio and initially used clear paper. They looked fine when on the backing paper but when applied to the wooden top of the set, were too 'wishy washy' so I recreated them on white paper and they looked fine. I printed some 'BLAUPUNKT' transfers for Anthony (Nukeybrown) on clear paper and as a test, I applied them to a white panel as he will be doing, and they were fine.

To be economical, it's best to print off a full sheet of transfers - maybe of several different designs, unless your printer will accept a sheet 'remnant' of less than A4 in size at a later date.

Sadly, clear decal paper is pretty useless for creating 'see through' glass dials for say DAC90As and the like, (too 'wishy washy'), but for something like a Roberts RT1, where the transfer is on a cream metal panel, a clear transfer looks as good as the original and the only way you could use white paper is to make a transfer of the whole dial including the cream background. Same would apply to the WCR tuning dial (if it's worthy of that name!). You could either apply a transfer with just the black lettering onto a sprayed cream metal dial, or could make a transfer on white decal paper with the cream background printed as well as the black lettering.

I can't comment on the process for creating laser transfers, but I imagine it will be similar to waterslide. The first thing to say is that the better the resolution of the image, the better will be the result. A low resolution scan will of course produce a similar transfer, but if most of it is just lettering, that's not really an issue. It would be if creating say a 'BBC' logo or some such thing for a horn speaker or whatever, or a say a multi-coloured HMV logo.

Having printed the design, you give the sheet three quick light coats of clear acrylic varnish (EG, car lacquer) at 10 - 15 mins intervals to seal the transfer paper, and leave it overnight to harden. Applying the transfers is an acquired skill, but is soon mastered. Always best to print several transfers as until you become adept at applying them, as sure as anything, they'll wrinkle up and can't be straightened. When using white paper, you need to cut right to the edge of the design, as any white border will show up, but with clear paper any border will be transparent, so won't be noticeable.

You put the transfer in a saucer of warm water, prevent it from curling up using your fingers, then after 30 - 60 secs, gently see if it will slide between your finger and thumb. If so, leave it on the backing paper, then hold it in the position on the cabinet or other object where you want to apply it, and slide the backing paper from beneath the transfer as you smooth the transfer down. NEVER slide the transfer off the top of the backing paper or it will curl up. You can move it about a bit, being careful not to stretch it, then when you're happy with the position of it, smooth it down with a piece of kitchen roll to exclude air bubbles and water. Once set, after 24 hours or so they're durable and stick really well. You can if you wish apply a coat of clear varnish.

If applying transfers to ceramic objects such as mugs, after the transfer has been applied, you pop the oven for 10 - 15 mins at 110º - 130º C.
(You can only hand wash ceramic objects - never in a dishwasher).

Hope this info might prove useful.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 10:32 pm   #9
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I recently used inkjet waterslide transfer paper from an online supplier called "Craftovator" and was delighted with the results. Nothing to do with radio; I was rebuilding a platform lantern for a preserved steam railway.

The legend was reversed, printed on clear transfer paper and applied to the inside of the glass. When dry, an identically-sized piece of unprinted white transfer paper was applied over the top, to create the opaque translucent background.

I used transparent inkjet 'fixer' aerosol lacquer to stabilise the inkjet printed side of the transfer before soaking and applying it in accordance with the instructions.

I have no connection with Craftovator other than as a satisfied customer. Other suppliers may be available.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6155.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	146651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6157.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	146652  

“The place where optimism most flourishes is the lunatic asylum” - Havelock Ellis
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 10:02 am   #10
Goldie99
Heptode

Many thanks David - superb answer, with all the detail I need. I'll give it a go.

Phil - thanks also for the extra recommendation. It all helps.

Rgds, Alan
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 12:32 pm   #11
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post

The legend was reversed, printed on clear transfer paper and applied to the inside of the glass. When dry, an identically-sized piece of unprinted white transfer paper was applied over the top, to create the opaque translucent background.
Phil
That's a neat idea Phil - well worth remembering. The lettering will stand out much clearer backed by the while paper than just the clear transfer paper on its own.

It looks really authentic!
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 3:30 pm   #12
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie99 View Post
Many thanks David - superb answer, with all the detail I need. I'll give it a go.
Rgds, Alan
Good luck with it Alan!
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 8:56 pm   #13
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

That's a neat idea Phil... It looks really authentic!
David, you're very kind. TBH, this was the second attempt, the first was part of the learning curve! For what it's worth, the unprinted white background layer must be sprayed with clear lacquer too. I didn't spray the first attempt, and the surface just dissolved into a milky, slimy mess...

“The place where optimism most flourishes is the lunatic asylum” - Havelock Ellis
Closed Thread