UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2017, 9:08 pm   #1
RadioRon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Solid state magic eyes?

Hi folks,

i am looking for some nos "magic eyes" tubes and found a very nice video called Arduino EM80-Elektronenröhre Nachbau

https://youtu.be/P1xqQVbae4M
http://radio-bastler.de/forum/showth...99649#pid99649

How does it work? Can somebody explain that type of rebuild?

73 & 55
Ron
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 9:59 pm   #2
Gulliver
Hexode

Default Re: Solid state magic eyes?

I wonder if that could actually be used in place of a magic eye, or if he's just using a small LCD screen with a little computer program to do something similar.

I also wish his video was in focus.
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 10:03 pm   #3
wave solder
Hexode

Looking at it the display is an OLED type and going by the title an ATMEGA based microcontroller for controlling it.
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 10:10 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

Nice thread here using LED's https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=97804

As Magic eye prices go ever higher lots of clever ideas will appear to replace them.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 10:28 pm   #5
RadioRon
Retired Dormant Member

Here: http://www.radio-bastler.de/forum/sh...d.php?tid=8636

What kind of "rounded" display is used?
It seems to me he can simulate all types of magic eyes with the same chip? Is that right and/or possible?

73 and 55
Ron
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 11:09 pm   #6
RadioRon
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
What kind of "rounded" display is used?
Okay its a special OLED for smartwatches, i found another side of his project.

http://www.wumpus-gollum-forum.de/fo...-58_323_3.html

The EM1-rebuild looks really cool.

Last edited by RadioRon; 3rd Jun 2017 at 11:25 pm.
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 11:19 pm   #7
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

There's another one using a PIC here: http://electronbunker.ca/eb/6U5.html
Old 4th Jun 2017, 7:47 am   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Someone on the forum posted a thread about that design last summer Joe - he'd made one but was seeking ideas as to how to use a green 'diffuser' to make the LED segments look a bit less obvious and more 'retro'. (No useful conclusions ensued and the thread fizzled out). Although I didn't/don't need a magic eye, I was quite taken with the project so printed off the article, obtained all the bits and created a PCB mask for it. That was in June last year.

Ordinarily, I don't bother with any projects that use PICs, because I don't have the equipment, knowledge or desire to get into that malarky as it's yet another diversion in a busy life. Nevertheless, in Jan this year, I got around to etching a board and building it. Then I put it to one side, thinking that at some point, I'd seek help on the forum for someone to program the chip - maybe in exchange for a PCB & chip. Still haven't got around to that, but then I've got form going back to schooldays in the '50s in starting projects then sidelining them, so no surprises there!

I'm not overly keen on the method of mounting the LED array - I dislike Veroboard with a passion, but can think of a more elegant way of doing it. Also, I need to re-visit the mounting of the electrolytic cap which I mounted vertically but it prevents the PCB going into the octal valve base as far as I'd wish, so I'll most likely re-mount it horizontally on the underside of the board. Sometime, whenever, if ever.

Hence, for now, it's on the 'to do list'.

By the way, for anyone contemplating building this project, the ebay seller at the link in the article has to date sold 563 of the green LED arrays, and shows more than ten still available at just $3.50 USD post free. For how long, is anyone's guess.

Pictures below are of the PCB, the built up board and the bits I've got together to finish the project. For anyone who might want to make the PCB, the last picture is of both negative and positive images to create the UV mask. (Sorry, I can't make any PCBs due to time constraints).

Hope that's of interest to someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Board etched & drilled.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	143869   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Magic Eye PCB.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	143870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magic Eye PCB mask two neg two postive.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	143871  
Old 4th Jun 2017, 9:13 am   #9
kellys_eye
Octode

An idea worth investigating......

If you place an LED at the peak of a cone shape - with the wide end pointed towards yourself - and move the LED in/out of the focal point of that cone you will see the spread of light 'move' up and down the inside of the cone as you look at it.

Fit the LED to a speaker coil type arrangement and drive it from the AGC.

Digital purists might drive a small stepper motor (ex floppy drive head movement?) - but the idea is based around the light 'cone' growing and shrinking as it moves in/out the focal plane.
Old 4th Jun 2017, 9:34 am   #10
Radio Wrangler

Rather ironic, but back in the day, weren't magic eyes fitted as a lower cost alternative to a meter movement?

And there are also 'doll's eye' magnetic indicators used in aircraft electronics.

As far as the high impedance of the AGC line goes, lots of communications receivers got around this by metering the reduction in cathode-current of an AGC controlled IF amp stage.
This technique would also sort the high impedance issue for any solid state replacement.

David