UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2015, 8:27 pm   #1
chriswood1900
Heptode

Default Recommended places to visit with a Radio or TV Theme

Spark Museum, Bellingham, Washington State, USA.
It has taken me a long time to get this written, but here goes. Never one for beach holidays my wife and I usually go for city centres and touring holidays which wherever possible includes museums and galleries. Last year we did a tour of Seattle and Vancouver and whilst travelling between the two stopped off for a day in Bellingham which included a considerable time in the Spark museum. The museum is housed in and old cinema and is an amalgam of a collection of scientific instruments, radios, tubes(valves) phonographs and a Heathkit collection. It is designed as an educational resource as well as a museum.
The principle collections are:-
Electrical Inventions 1800-1900
The Beginnings of Wireless 1853-1920
Radio in the Home 1920-1927
The Golden Age of Radio 1928-1950
The principle collections of inventions and beginnings of wireless were started by John Jenkins and John Winter who moved up from California with his radios and got together with John J to create the museum and make sure the collections were open to the public.
I had a most enjoyable time with enough to keep Mrs W happy, I spent some time talking to John particularly about early televisions of which they have a small display including a fully restored RCA CT100 which he demonstrated working from a cartoon DVD and is in the photos attached.
Have a look at the website for more info, I have included some photos to give an idea of the scale of the museum and the types of items on display.

Links
http://www.sparkmuseum.org/
http://www.komonews.com/home/video/B...182473621.html

Portugal Communication Museum. Lisbon.

In a more recent holiday to Lisbon I again went looking for tech museums I discovered the Radio museum had closed down but the communication museum is still open. This exhibition covers the wider scope of communication including early telegraphs, undersea cables along with more recent examples of radio, tv and digital. Portugal has played a leading role because of its location in being the most westerly point of Europe and being on the route for cables passing from northern Europe down the coast of Africa. Portugal has always had a close relationship with the UK and on display had information on joint ventures in communications with British companies such as Cable and Wireless.
It is very easy to reach from around the city using the buses or the trams which run along the front getting off by the Metro Station: Cais do Sodré (Green Line)
The last picture was from the Museum.
Link http://www.fpc.pt/en-us/home.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spark museum 1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	117541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spark museum 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	117542   Click image for larger version