UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2006, 9:17 pm   #1
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Bush Ac11

Hi thought Id share my latest Radio refurb it was presented to me by a friend who said it had belonged to his friends dad from new, it was of deep sentimental value to his mate who would like it sorted out as although it still worked it didnt sound very good , (his mate is the head of the local bikers, not the sort of fellow you say no to!) I said I would be happy to do it for him!
It worked ish, the speaker rattled and it distorted at moderate volume it was cruddy inside and out.
first it was stripped, chassis cleaned, recapped, good s/hand UL41,UY41 new mains lead, clean pots and switches and run on test
cabinet stripped out all parts cleaned and reassembled the outside of the cabinet was just cleaned and polished as best as it would I didnt want to get into revarnishing as Im no expert and it was'nt really that bad,
while it awaited collection I ran it on test in the kitchen and it sounded really good ,very good bass this was commented on by others in the house who are fairly oblivious to my radios by now ,so praise indeed !
only problem is ....now I want one! hope ly the pics will come out ok! com pu tas are still a mystery.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP05652.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	5183   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP05651.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	5184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP05653.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	5185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP05660.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	5186   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP05663.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	5187  

Last edited by slidertogrid; 30th Aug 2006 at 9:32 pm.
Old 30th Aug 2006, 9:28 pm   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Bush Ac11

The first pics show the set as I got it, the chassis, under its protective coating and the new caps going in, the last pic is the cabinet parts removed for clean up.
These pics are of the finished set back together, 3 and 1/2 hours start to finish, inc beer , sorry! tea, breaks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP05664.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	5188   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP05668.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	5189  

Last edited by slidertogrid; 30th Aug 2006 at 9:36 pm.
Old 30th Aug 2006, 9:55 pm   #3
paulsherwin

You've done a really good job on the chassis, puts my efforts to shame!

Paul
Old 30th Aug 2006, 10:25 pm   #4
ianj
Heptode

These really are cracking good little sets-I paid £10 for my immaculate example, and even on its little built in aerial, pulls in EVERYTHING loud, clear and BASSY!! recommended!! ianj
Old 1st Sep 2006, 1:02 pm   #5
Aub
Nonode

Super Job!
Old 1st Sep 2006, 7:12 pm   #6
PJL
Dekatron

The chassis has come up really well - did you do anything special? I wish I could manage to complete a set that quickly. It normally takes me 3 1/2 hours just to find the inevitable screw I dropped.
Old 1st Sep 2006, 9:07 pm   #7
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi , The owner of the Bush got in touch today to say thanks, apparently when he was a kid his dad never let him near the radio.
when his farther died his mother gave him the radio and he has used it most days since then, this probably explains why the electrolytics were ok.
the only previous repairs seem to have been a couple of valves so it shows we could make things that lasted once!
The chassis was cleaned with switch cleaner to degrease it and then with an old soft toothbrush soaked in foam cleaner (not getting the chassis wet) Then polished with a soft dry cloth, this probably took longer than the recap, but everyone has a peer inside so it has to look presentable, I fitted modern caps under the chassis but returned the old ones to the owner in a bag just to keep the set complete.
looking at the valve lineup and cabinet style I assumed it was mid 50s around DAC90A age but looking on the web it says 1948/9 so was this one of the first radios to use miniture valves after WW2 ?
Im going to look for one at the next swapmeet unless a minter turns up on £bay in the meantime
Old 2nd Sep 2006, 1:27 pm   #8
ianj
Heptode

yes, 1948 on -- using a neat chassis, UL range of valves, and similar to the AC34, PB22 pushbutton models etc.
Closed Thread