UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2014, 5:37 pm   #1
KerryLyn
Diode

Default Walsall cooker wall switch with kettle plug

Hiya, I have just picked up a vintage Jackson cooker and still connected to it is the wall mounted switch, this has a Walsall sticker at the top, cooker on / off switch to the left and a round kettle plug on the right, slightly up from the middle is a large red jewelled light cover, across the bottom is 30 A. 250 V.

The main question is does anyone have any information on this switch and is it usable with new wires and fuses fitted inside?

At the moment it has 2 ceramic fuses (possible later addition as the light for the jewel light is totally missing).

Thank you for any help in advance.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 8th Sep 2014 at 9:57 am.
Old 7th Sep 2014, 7:57 pm   #2
matthewhouse
Heptode

Default Re: Walsall cooker wall switch with kettle plug

I'm sure I've seen these wonderful switches, or ones similar to your description before. How about some photos. It will probably work fine, but probably won't meet current wiring regulations. Does it have one fuse for the cooker and one for the socket, or are they both for the socket? The indicator bulb in the last one I saw was a 15W BC pigmy. That one had a 13A socket.
Old 7th Sep 2014, 8:33 pm   #3
Brigham
Heptode

What model is the Jackson? I'm looking for a correct wall-box for mine. They're very difficult to search for, even on eBay, chiefly because of the lack of a universal descriptive name, and because J. Public esq. sees only an 'old switch'.

I'd love to see a pic., of both if possible.
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 8:44 pm   #4
KerryLyn
Diode

Hiya, sorry for the lack of response, I stuck the socket in a box and forgot all about it. Just been having a sort out and found it saw it again. I hope the pictures work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooker Socket..jpg
Views:	255
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	100600  

Last edited by Station X; 24th Nov 2014 at 11:29 pm. Reason: Image rotated 180 degrees.
Old 25th Nov 2014, 12:32 pm   #5
hansomcommon
Pentode

Certainly worth using, it would clean up with Jenolite on the front panel, If the two fuses are on live & neutral the recommended fix was to render the neutral fuse "un blowable" by a really heavy wire & correctly fuse the live. The little 240v 7w bulbs sold for flea killers make ideal bulbs for behind the red jewel light, a nice thing to keep.
Old 25th Nov 2014, 2:02 pm   #6
Brigham
Heptode

It's slightly too modern for my cooker, but it would certainly do the job.
Old 25th Nov 2014, 9:57 pm   #7
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Quote:
The little 240v 7w bulbs sold for flea killers make ideal bulbs for behind the red jewel light, a nice thing to keep.
And will give a nice light to get a glass of water at night.