UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2014, 9:12 am   #1
mark24374
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fitall plug bin it sell it save it.

Came across this plug not seen one before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P280909_06.50[01].jpg
Views:	598
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	95265  
Old 18th Jul 2014, 9:53 am   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Fitall plug bin it sell it save it.

Popular in the late 60s & 70s. I used lots of them on equipment for groups because there were still many places that did not use 13 Amp sockets on stage power. Did 5 and 15 Amp round pin and 13 Amp (BS 1363)

Not a good idea on metal faces sockets. Sometimes the spare pins could slide out and short to the socket face, loud bang ensued! Of course the fuse was no protection in this event, in fact I don't remember there being a fuse in the plug at all.
Probably collectable now.

Boater Sam
Old 18th Jul 2014, 10:19 am   #3
camallison
Heptode

I used one in the 70s and 80s when I was doing international sales of electronic control equipment. They tend to become a bit sloppy with regular use and arcing can start internally. I was never 100% happy, but it saved time changing plugs.

Maybe you can still purchase them new?

Colin

[EDIT - more information here: http://fam-oud.nl/~plugsocket/Fitall1.html ]

Last edited by camallison; 18th Jul 2014 at 10:22 am. Reason: Added link to more info
Old 18th Jul 2014, 10:26 am   #4
broadgage
Nonode

I would certainly not throw it away.
Either keep it or sell it, perhaps to a collector. Such items are of doubtful safety by today's standards and I would think twice about actual use as distinct from keeping it as a curio.

Not certain if it would be ethical to sell it via ebay or other auction site due to the risk of someone using it, but sale or donation direct to a collector should be OK.
Old 18th Jul 2014, 11:00 am   #5
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

I had one when they were new and it did save time in finding a suitable plug, particularly for a soldering iron.
Even then, it wasnt very good and tended to be a sloppy fit and soon I stopped using it.

I still have it and will keep it "for old times sake", but don't plan to use it.
Old 18th Jul 2014, 11:11 am   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

I've got one kicking around somewhere, if anyone wants it for the postage, PM me.
Old 18th Jul 2014, 12:00 pm   #7
Nicklyons2
Octode

I agree with Alan; I found them to be at best unsatisfactory, at worst potentially lethal. I too keep one for 'curio' purposes but wouldn't dream of using it. The loose pins shorting to the faces of metal sockets was a frequent and hideous hazard and they were frequently unusable in the domestic environment too because old houses which still had 5A sockets usually had them on the skirting board; the MultiPlug being so big couldn't fit in the socket without fouling the floor - the 'overhang' at the flex end being so great.

I just put a 5A plug on my soldering iron and carried jumper leads or adapters for all the sockets I encounterd and, believe me, there were quite a few!
Old 18th Jul 2014, 12:24 pm   #8
Station X

When I started work the guy I worked with had one of these plugs fitted to his soldering iron. It was the mid 1960's and a variety of socket outlets were to be found. However there was one socket, or maybe it was a light socket it wouldn't fit. To get round this the guy wired the other type of plug in parallel with the Fitall and encased the unused plug in a plastic bag to provide insulation.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Jul 2014, 12:32 pm   #9
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I used to have one on my 'Primax' soldering iron

Peter
Old 18th Jul 2014, 8:23 pm   #10
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I have a couple of Fitall plugs in my collection I seem to recall that the instructions suggest squeezing the body of the plug together when using the plug in 2 pin 5 or 15 amp sockets.
As the body is quite sturdy it would be easier, but certainly very dangerous, to squeeze the actual plug pins together
I wonder if anyone actually ever tried this and received a nasty shock from doing so....

Andrew
Old 19th Jul 2014, 11:32 am   #11
robin coleman
Hexode

I have had a few shocks from these as we had them on the benches at Quad, for quoting for repairs.
They were cited to the rat trap test blocks.
Regards
Robin
Old 19th Jul 2014, 4:10 pm   #12
MrElectronicman
Heptode

I had one of these too, used for my LapTop when I traveled the world.

The last time I tried to use it the selector stuck, and when I tried to dismantle it, the plastic disintegrated.
I kept some of the metal parts as I thought the pins might come in handy some time.
Old 20th Jul 2014, 3:48 pm   #13
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

If you want to see a more 'precision-made' multi-standard plug, have a look inside the 'Crater.' I took mine apart and Oof Oud wrote up a page on it here:
Crater multiple-BS-gauge plug

It's not without faults: the small creepage distance between the brass contact plates and the reverse-polarity of the 5A 3-pin. But as far as security of contacts, retention of unused pins etc it's pretty good.
Old 20th Jul 2014, 4:37 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

My only real plug-issues were the days of going to site and finding the place was wired with "Walsall Gauge" 13A sockets, or a 1950s-vintage public-sector site with Dorman&Smith or Wylex outlets. I had a set of adaptor-cables with an appropriate plug one end and a standard 13A "Duraplug" rubber-cased socket the other. I also had one such lead with a metal-clad "Niphan/Clang" 15-amp plug for theatres and British Rail sites who seemed to have a persistent attachment to such outlets.
Old 21st Jul 2014, 3:46 pm   #15
threeseven
Octode

My father bought one of those home when they were a new concept. My recollection is that I couldn't get the pins to lock in place, is there a trick to it?
Old 21st Jul 2014, 3:56 pm   #16
vidjoman
Dekatron

I thought they screwed in place - pull the pin out and turn it anti-clockwise from memory.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 12:58 am   #17
unabridged
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
My only real plug-issues were the days of going to site and finding the place was wired with "Walsall Gauge" 13A sockets, or a 1950s-vintage public-sector site with Dorman&Smith or Wylex outlets. I had a set of adaptor-cables with an appropriate plug one end and a standard 13A "Duraplug" rubber-cased socket the other. I also had one such lead with a metal-clad "Niphan/Clang" 15-amp plug for theatres and British Rail sites who seemed to have a persistent attachment to such outlets.
I still have a Walsall to 13a adaptor, used it last year at the midland hotel in Manchester when I was working on an event there. Can't believe I actually had a Walsall plug in my tool box, let alone actually found somewhere that actually had a live socket for one
Old 25th Oct 2014, 8:14 pm   #18
Rhgbristol
Triode

We had a peripatetic music teacher who used to visit our school in the early 1970s who had one of these on his portable tape recorder - which he said he needed as some of the schools he visited still had the old 5 Amp and 15amp round pin sockets.

This fascinated be somewhat more than the music being taught!!!!
Old 27th Oct 2014, 12:59 am   #19
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I still have the odd round pin plug a socket about.
Closed Thread