UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2014, 9:12 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Nixies at 520MHz, The RCS 901

I'm feeling fairly pleased with this repair. A rare beast – a 520MHz counter timer with 8 digit NIXIE display - an RCS Electronics Model 901M from about 1977 going by component date markings.
It was given to me FOC by a radio club member who couldn’t get it working.
No manual, circuit etc of course. So back to tracing the circuit and drawing bits of it out, armed with a copy of the 7400 series data manual.
It was clear that one of the main reset lines was stuck at “reset”. After a lot of circuit tracing I worked back to the monostables and found a suspect 74121. Pulses going in but no pulses coming out.
It was desoldered and a socket put in. Slightly difficult to put in as they used the IC pins on the topside to connect the power rails.
Anyway, after having to remove an apparently duff socket the second socket was fine and was equipped with a NOS 74121. To my delight the device sprang to life once the right buttons were pressed.
Even more to my delight was finding that it still has 25mV sensitivity right up to 80MHz, and that the prescaler still works, giving 25mV sensitivity right up to 520MHz.

What a really nice bit of kit - modern performance but with the comforting glow of the nixie tubes! It even has switchable 50-ohm termination on the input, just like Racal, HP and other top-end counters.
Useful and pleasing.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	87915  

Last edited by Sean Williams; 16th Jan 2014 at 11:51 pm. Reason: to remove rouge formatting gibberish
Old 16th Jan 2014, 9:42 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Nixies at 520MHz

Spiffing!

That's a good useful counter. THe 7400 family monostables were always poor on reliability. The semiconductor line was optimised for fast switching, so essentially an analogue function was going against the grain.

David
Old 16th Jan 2014, 9:55 pm   #3
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: Nixies at 520MHz

Yes, I have come across duff '121s before. I was hoping it was the '121 as it also has a '122 and I don't have any of those in "stock". I don't think I have fault-found good old original 7400 Series TTL for many years! Quite fun to get the logic probe out.

I just realised I should have added "RCS 901" into the thread title in case anyone is doing repairs in future and searches for it by model number.

(Mods can you oblige?) - sorted! Cheers, Sean

Jeremy
Old 17th Jan 2014, 10:30 am   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Nixies at 520MHz, The RCS 901

That's spiffing indeed, Jeremy. Most counters from that period are pretty poor things and they tend to look awful as well, but that's a nice-looking piece of clobber. Well done for getting it working.
I must admit that whenever I see a nixie readout I always think of petrol pumps! Six bob a gallon? Do you think I'm made of money?
Old 17th Jan 2014, 7:54 pm   #5
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: Nixies at 520MHz, The RCS 901

The display in the photo was the 901 measuring the output of a well-calibrated sig gen giving out 25mV at 520MHz. ~1 part in 10^6 error after 30+ years is not bad! I can't trim it out as I can't find any trimmer (the ovened oscillator is encased in styrofoam wich would have to be removed in case it's inside).
If anyone is doing fault-finding on these devices I have attached the very crude drawing I made of key bits of circuitry which might help someone.
- Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469[1].jpg
Views:	167
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	87945  
Closed Thread