UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2012, 9:22 pm   #1
david winter
Hexode

Default Best auto-reverse R2R for pre-recorded 4-track tapes ?

Hi,

I wanted to know what 4-track auto-reverse R2R machine would replace my Revox A77 ?
What I would like is:
- Best sound (ok, hard question there, but something that would equal or beat my A77)
- Better record/play quality at 3 3/4 ips (9.5cm/s) just in case I start enjoying that speed on pre-recored tapes (pop/rock but hardly classical unless someone recommends it.....)
- The possibility to record the auto-reverse signal at the end of a pre-recorded tape that doesn't have it yet
- If possible, an auto-load signal to automatically skip a silent section at the begining of Side 1. I read that Ampex used that signal but not sure what decks featured it (probably Ampex... ).

I'm not planning to get rid of my A77, but if I could find something better I would consider it.

Thanks !

Last edited by david winter; 17th Dec 2012 at 9:30 pm.
Old 17th Dec 2012, 11:31 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Best auto-reverse R2R for pre-recorded 4-track tapes ?

The Sony TC-758 should be close to what you want.
Old 17th Dec 2012, 11:44 pm   #3
david winter
Hexode

Thanks. I've read pros and cons on this deck, especially cross-talk and the rotary head assembly.
Somebody gave very good feedback on the Teac A-2300S (which I once had) but I would prefer a machine able to play 10.5" reels. I read that the Team A-6300 was an excellent deck, but I presently know nothing about it! Anyone use this particular model?
Old 19th Dec 2012, 2:38 pm   #4
jamesperrett
Octode

In my opinion, you won't beat a Revox unless you go up to a professional machine like a Studer or Otari. I'm not sure if any of those came in an auto reverse format.

James.
Old 19th Dec 2012, 3:33 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

The 10.5" Sonys are probably the best for w&f, thanks to the dual capstan and two rotary tape guides. Equal to if not better than a Revox, must dig out the specs. I don't have an autoreverse version though.

The good thing about Revox kit is that it can be kept going almost indefinitely and spares are comparatively easy to source. They did not make an autoreverse unit.
Old 19th Dec 2012, 4:33 pm   #6
ITAM805
Nonode

I owned a Sony TC-440 which was a pretty damn fine machine, auto reverse, sound-on-sound and echo, but only 7" spools alas. I also owned the cousin of the Teac A-6300 you mention, the A-6100 which equalled the Revox IMHO, but wasn't auto reverse but was 10.5" and had separate heads for half track and 1/4 track tapes at 15ips.
Old 21st Dec 2012, 6:59 am   #7
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Honestly, i thought the teac 6100 wasnt that great.
Personally i have always been pretty blown away with the Sony machines for the fact that they were very good for consumer machines, i wouldn't go with anything less than a Sony 758, 850,755, somewhere along those lines would be good, i would probably go with the 850 series, i had one and alot of the 750 series, i liked the 850 alot better and though they were alot nicer, both had really excellent sound quality though.
Closed Thread