UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2012, 6:28 pm   #1
pothole
Retired Dormant Member

Default Akai 1710 no power

I posted recently about my Elizabethan recorder and the speeds, well I could not fiqure it out so managed to find aN Akai 1710 and all seemed well. So loaded a tape it started to play sounded good for 5 minutes and then the player just died nothing at all, I had no power.

So I checked the fuse in the plug that was OK and checked the fuse I found in the recorder that was OK so now I am at a loss what to look for next.

The recorder itself seems to be in very good condition and would be just what I am looking for if only it would power up, so does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by pothole; 17th Dec 2012 at 6:36 pm.
Old 17th Dec 2012, 6:49 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai 1710 no power

Hi
On the face of it, this should be an easy repair. Not meaning to be rude, but it all depends how much experience you have of mains voltage as to how to proceed, as it's probable the fault's close to the mains input which can bite, even if all appears dead. The rocker switches Akai used are known to give trouble as are the transformers. Also check the tape stop switch, though that should leave the amplifier running.
So first stop is 'how dead is dead'? Check no part of the machine is running, then inspect the mains up to the transformer. Hopefully you have a meter that will help - unplug and check the resistance across the live and neutral pins - there should be a reading with the machine's mains switch on (repeat, do NOT connect to the mains at this point). If not, check the mains switch is doing its job. There's a lot you can do without running the risk of a nasty bite or a flash and a bang.
Do some tests then report back.
Apologies if I'm insulting your intelligence here, but better safe than sorry!
Glyn
Old 17th Dec 2012, 6:49 pm   #3
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

I had the same problem, came to find out that the auto lever tension arm had a problem with it, there was a switch on my 1722 that would allow you to simply let it keep running to defeat that arm, that was the problem on mine.
-Chris
Old 17th Dec 2012, 7:08 pm   #4
pothole
Retired Dormant Member

I mean to say that when it is dead there is nothing at all no lights its as if it has no power going to it but I will do the tests recomended thanks.
Old 18th Dec 2012, 6:05 pm   #5
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Seems like a fault with one of those switches that tell if there is tape still going through the machine, when the tape ran out the machine completely turned off for most akais, and that means no lights, nothing, just as if you unplugged the machine from the wall outlet.
-Chris
Old 18th Dec 2012, 8:37 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

I've got one of these and the motor run capacitors started to ooze out its innards, if this goes on for too long it will blow the mains fuse.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 19th Dec 2012, 12:57 am   #7
pothole
Retired Dormant Member

Well had a look inside, no idea what I was looking for but thought it might be something obvious, plugged it in switched it on and still dead.
Then I found a switch near the play fwd rev switches called automatic and it was set to on, so thought I would try it in the off position and it sprung into life so all is good now.

So just listening to pick of the pop with Alan Freeman from 1972, but these were taped on a Philips N4308 so they are in mono and the tape sound slightly slow. the Akai has a Low and High speed switch but this doe not seem to do anything.

I would like to put the tapes onto a computer where I could tweak the speeds, could anyone advise me on the set up I need to connect the Akai to a computer thanks.
Old 19th Dec 2012, 3:27 am   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

You need a lead with 2 phono plugs (for the tape recorder) to a 3.5 mm. stereo jack plug. Maplin sell such leads. Connect this to the blue line in socket of your sound card. Download "Audacity", a free and Open Source sound recording and editing program. In Ubuntu, just
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install audacity
There are also versions for Windows and Mac OS X, and Source Code. Audacity is fairy easy to figure out, and there is extensive online documentation in the form of a Wiki.
Old 19th Dec 2012, 7:43 am   #9
Radio Wrangler

The Akai will have a metal bush and a chrome cylindrical cap-nut with a milled periphery which is either fitted onto the capstan for 7.5 ips, or stored on a little threaded pillar when not in use, for 3.75 ips.

The low/high switch changes the recording and replay equalisation to set it correctly for the speed you're using, otherwise nothing in the machine can know whether you've fitted the bush or not. It makes a small difference to the sound, but you might not notice it.

I think Akais used the NAB equalisation standard.

David
Old 19th Dec 2012, 10:31 am   #10
pothole
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all for your replies, looks like I have many hours ahead of me transferring all my tapes and memories of recording them on the N4308 connected to my Grundig radio.
Old 19th Dec 2012, 8:51 pm   #11
pothole
Retired Dormant Member

I was having good results with the Akai until about 10 mins play and it started to slow down so I went back to the Elizabethan LZ29 and removed the speed knob and changed the speed with a pair of pliers.

It now plays at the right speed but when I used the MON out phono nothing was going into the computer, I then used the speakers out and got some sound onto the computer but it was not very good.

My question should the MON work straight to the computer or is there another way I should be doing it to get the tape onto the computer
Old 19th Dec 2012, 10:31 pm   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

The MONitor output is high-impedance, and the input impedance of your sound card is too low for it, so the signal disappears. You will have to buffer it using an op-amp as a unity-gain, non-inverting amplifier: short the output back to the (-) input and take the signal to the (+) input. Power from a pair of 9V batteries, or find + and -5V on the PSU connector to the motherboard.
Old 19th Dec 2012, 11:48 pm   #13
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The Akai will have a metal bush and a chrome cylindrical cap-nut with a milled periphery which is either fitted onto the capstan for 7.5 ips, or stored on a little threaded pillar when not in use, for 3.75 ips.

David
No it wont. you are referring to the Akai 3000D, 4000D, 4000DS etc.

The 1710L has a speed selector switch at the top of the machine which changes the number of poles on the motor. There is no equalisation switch, this being a basic machine the equalisation is compromised between the two speeds.

Back to your Akai, the fault almost certainly is failed motor run capacitors. Open the machine and you'll see the motor, mounted on or very nearby are two cylinders, these are the capacitors and must be changed using the correct value.

if you dont feel confident in doing this, then I'm sure others can help you.

I think the Akai will be far better than the elizabethan for what you're doing

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 20th Dec 2012, 12:14 am   #14
Radio Wrangler

My fault, I've had a couple of the 4000D and 4000DS machines myself, and put new spool bearings in maybe a dozen of those series of machines for other people, and I assumed the 1710 was the same recipe. Rather a lot of people got confused with the EQ switch on those and I assumed the same confusion had bitten.

Thanks for clearing it up

David
Old 20th Dec 2012, 5:21 am   #15
paolo
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post

No it wont. you are referring to the Akai 3000D, 4000D, 4000DS etc.
My 1710 definitely has the bigger capstan accessory. It provides 3 speeds. 1 7/8, 3 3/4 and 7.5 ips depending on which capstan is fitted and if the speed selector switch is set to high or low.

Paul
Old 20th Dec 2012, 5:37 am   #16
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Well had a look inside, no idea what I was looking for but thought it might be something obvious, plugged it in switched it on and still dead.
Then I found a switch near the play fwd rev switches called automatic and it was set to on, so thought I would try it in the off position and it sprung into life so all is good now.

So just listening to pick of the pop with Alan Freeman from 1972, but these were taped on a Philips N4308 so they are in mono and the tape sound slightly slow. the Akai has a Low and High speed switch but this doe not seem to do anything.

I would like to put the tapes onto a computer where I could tweak the speeds, could anyone advise me on the set up I need to connect the Akai to a computer thanks.

Yes the same thing happened to mine after i took it apart and realized it was that switch, thats why i mentioned it
Old 20th Dec 2012, 2:36 pm   #17
pothole
Retired Dormant Member

Reading the reply from AJS to me it's as if he is from another planet as I have no idea what he just said, obviously he knows his stuff.

So it looks like it's back to the Akai and see if I can find where these motor run capacitors are, but once located are they easy enough to get hold of.
Old 20th Dec 2012, 3:08 pm   #18
Radio Wrangler

Motor run capacitors (and motor start capacitors for that matter) are regularly needed items and most values of capacitance (microfarads, uF) and voltage ratings are available from stock. I usually get them from Farnell

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp

They'll take orders orders over the phone by credit card, though their minimum order is about £20. Stuff normally arrives next day, though some resistors I ordered two months ago turned up this morning.

RS components also stock these things, but they only deal with account holders.

Once you find the capacitors, you need to get the right number of microfarads, but it's perfectly OK to go for a higher voltage rating part. Do not choose a lower voltage rating.

David