UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2010, 10:55 am   #1
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Aurora and Amp Distribution

Hi after reading the "Aerial isolater safety" thread it re-kindled a question I had been mulling over. Rather than taking that thread OT, I will raise it here.

I currently supply a signal from my Aurora to 4 sets via a 4-way splitter, this does not have any earthing protection for the Aurora. The signal is very strong but the sets cope. I would like to gear up the Aurora to supply 7+ simultaneously as the collection grows. I would like like solve the two issues with one solution and a dist amp would seem to do this (multi sets and earth protection for Aurora).

Q1
I thought fitting a dist amp will over load the signal especially if I just swap out the 4way splitter for an amp with my current setup.

Q2
would there be a benefit from getting a dist a with variable gain control to back off the signal strength when only a few sets are connected.

Any advice or amp recommendation would be most welcome.

Chris
Old 25th Jun 2010, 11:16 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Aurora and Amp Distribution

The main problem with a distribution amp is finding one that goes all the way down to channel B1. Most don't. You really don't want an amp rolling off over the channel. I leave it to others to make recommendations here.

Signal strength isn't usually a problem. Most sets are pretty tolerant. You can use the ordinary 6dB and 12dB attenuators (I hope these are still available) as required.

If you still have plenty of signal after a 4 way passive split then just do further passive splitting.

Multiple output distribution amps don't usually give much net gain - they do what it says on the box - distribution. Internally they have enough gain to overcome the splitter losses plus a bit for presumed cable losses.

Quote:
would there be a benefit from getting a dist a with variable gain control to back off the signal strength when only a few sets are connected.
In a sensibly designed system the signal at each set will only vary minimally as other sets are connected or disconnected.
Old 25th Jun 2010, 11:37 am   #3
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi Chris,

I use an SLX 8 way dist amp, it has a UHF input and also a VHF input that is designed for FM presumably, You have to be careful though as there are two types, one has a blue power LED and the other, a red one. I don't know what the internal differences are but I know that only the type with the red power LED works on VHF TV signals.

I use one of these because I have a collection of working 625 colour, 405/625 colour dual standard 405/625 B&W and 405 only sets. I simultaneously feed UHF and VHF (straight from the Aurora) into the amps inputs and it works very well at both standards simultaneously with no cross interference. I don't have signal overloading problems either.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 25th Jun 2010, 2:59 pm   #4
petertheorgan
Hexode

Hi Guys
I have got two of these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXSLX8G.html
I find that in spite of what they say they work very well on channel 1 .
I go from two auroras via a diplexer into a passive splitter which feeds my monitor ( sony 9 90ub) and 2 dist amps and all works perfectly ,
if anybody ever in the area , more than welcome to have a look
cheers
Peter
Old 25th Jun 2010, 5:58 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

If anyone is up my way and wants to check their aerial distribution amp I can whack it on my network analyser and measure the frequency response from as low as you like up to 500MHz.
Old 25th Jun 2010, 6:28 pm   #6
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I use two dist amps here with 4 actve channels. One is an old antiference Xtra Set6/32 with 6 normal outs and one high o/p, One of the norma o/p's feed into a modern Wolsey with seperate UHF & VHF inputs, I have no problems with the four channels I use (1,2,9,& 13) no cross mod etc and I believe that the spec on the wolsey is minimum of 56mhz
I also split the high o/p from the antiference 4 ways so I have a total of 14 outs!
Closed Thread