UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2010, 10:00 am   #1
predoodlebug
Retired Dormant Member

Default Test card C with music or tones?

The Aurora converter outputs test card C with a constant tone.
For tweeking the coils in a TV to finally eliminate any sound on vision I find that particular tone doesn't show on vision, unless the breakthrough is very bad, so when going over to an input with music, sound breakthrough can still be there.

So my question is, can one output test card C from the Aurora and inject music at the same time for that final tweeking? I think that the answer will be no.

My other way would be to burn a DVD with test card C and heavy music on the sound. Maybe repeated heavy chords, then one could easily see if adjustments were removing the sound breakthrough whilst at the same time keeping an wary eye in the test card.
Richard.
Old 25th Feb 2010, 10:23 am   #2
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Test card C with music or tones?

What you want is the Southwest vintage museum testcard DVD.

Dave
Old 25th Feb 2010, 1:52 pm   #3
tubesrule
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by predoodlebug View Post
So my question is, can one output test card C from the Aurora and inject music at the same time for that final tweeking? I think that the answer will be no.
Actually you can do this. I add the ability to disable the default test tone for this very reason. Just follow the manual for your unit to disable the test tone, and then feed any normal audio to the unit and you'll have Test Card C with your audio. Hope this helps.

Darryl
Old 25th Feb 2010, 1:54 pm   #4
Parabola
Retired Dormant Member

Depends which version you have, but yes, you should be able to do that.

I have a couple and the early one doesn't generate a test tone at all - just takes whatever you're feeding into the audio input and sends it out alongside Test Card C, so that's easy. The later one, but not the latest, does generate the tone internally but can have the tone disabled via the internal switch settings (position 4) and will then just output what you feed into the audio input, as per the original model. If I understand correctly this is the scenario you require.

I can't say what the latest version does, but I'd suspect it's the same. So I'd take a look at your internal switch settings and modify to suit. All relevant info is in the user guides available from the Aurora Design website.

HTH

Parabola

Edit: Better still just go by the previous post, Darryl beat me to it!

Last edited by Parabola; 25th Feb 2010 at 1:58 pm. Reason: answered in advance by the man himself!
Old 25th Feb 2010, 2:19 pm   #5
predoodlebug
Retired Dormant Member

O I did look at the instructions but must have had one of my dizzy spells.
Will re read them with more care.
Thanks to all for info.
I never cease to be amazed how good the Aurora is and it being in such a very small enclosure.
Richard.
Old 25th Feb 2010, 2:35 pm   #6
tubesrule
Hexode

Parabola is correct about the early version 1.x units. When I first developed the converter I didn't even think about a default audio tone even though they had the default video image. I don't know how I missed this, so starting with the 2.x units I added the test tone. All the units with the test tone can have it disabled. Besides the reason Richard pointed out, I thought if someone had a display where they wanted to show the test card but with an audio commentary loop or such, they could do this. I'm not sure if anyone of us would want a stationary image burning into our crt's, but you can do it. This latter issue is why by default I have the unit shut down after an hour if there is no input so the default image doesn't get burned in.

Darryl
Old 5th Mar 2010, 3:16 pm   #7
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

As per previous post by David Tilley the South West TV museum DVD is the one you need, Mikey is the man to see for a disc. It has all you need and is top quality!
Old 5th Mar 2010, 3:35 pm   #8
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I have a copy here. I assume that it is in the Public Domain so if anyone wants a copy I can help too.

Dave
Old 5th Mar 2010, 9:23 pm   #9
IJK2008
Hexode

David / Chris

I would like a copy but in such a way I can make a contribution to the museum.

Who should I contact - what's Mikey's contact details?

Thanks

Ian
Closed Thread