UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2019, 8:47 pm   #1
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Default Garrard 401 transport advice

Hi, I have just bought a Garrard 401, which I will collect by car. Does anyone have any advice regarding transport? Removing platter? Does this model have immobilizer screws? Anything else I need to consider?
Many thanks from Bill.
Old 15th Dec 2019, 8:59 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 401 transport advice

There are two red screws which lock the motor suspension. You need to take the platter off to do this - hold it up and tap the spindle with a block of wood to break the taper. Having done this, you might just as well transport the two halves separately, suitably wrapped.
Old 15th Dec 2019, 9:07 pm   #3
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Absolutely agree. Transport with the platter off and the motor suspension screwed down. Now mine was bought from the original owner, and for some reason was missing the motor clamp. But careful driving got it home safely.

A superb deck. Mine is now mounted in a Peak HiFi plinth with an SMEIV arm and is a source of joy.

They had a reputation for rumble, but that is just because they were mounted in flimsy chipboard plinths. Given a high mass plinth they are absolutely silent with no discernible rumble at all.
Old 15th Dec 2019, 9:29 pm   #4
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.
Bill.
Old 15th Dec 2019, 9:54 pm   #5
Bufo Bill
Heptode

When you say " high mass plinth" are we talking hardwood or one of these marble or concrete creations you see?
Cheers from Bill.
Old 15th Dec 2019, 10:40 pm   #6
joebog1
Banned

Hardwood works but barely!!! I made my own slate plinth it weighs in at around 30 kilos,
that's WITH the cutout for the deck and the SME3009 arm. I made mine 500 mm square just to add some weight. BUT as stated, its silent.
Rumble can also be caused by a worn idler wheel bearing, which fetch stupid prices unfortunately.

Joe
Old 16th Dec 2019, 12:13 am   #7
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Not marble - too high Q. Slate is good. As are composites like Corian, or super-dense plywoods like Panzerholz. Anything that is high density, heavy and dead.

The Peak hifi ones use a Quartz conglomerate https://www.peakhifi.co.uk/cgi-bin/e...uct&db_pid=774
Old 16th Dec 2019, 6:49 am   #8
joebog1
Banned

I have a spare if you want it. FREE, but freight is your responsibility!

This one is much lighter as the slate is only 37.5 mm ( 1 1/2" ) thick.
Surrounding timber is New Guinea Rosewood, fairly rare even here in Australia. Weighs 18.5 kilograms.

This is similar to my first effort, and works the same as my double thickness version. Corner joints are not so flash mitred mortice and tenon pins. It WON'T break easily. It needs finishing, T- nuts, spikes, a base if required, (I dont use a base, as it keeps the motor cool, BUT I live in 35 degree plus temperatures)
plus it needs the arm/base cutout.

It's Christmas!! (bah humbug)

Enjoy

Joe
Old 16th Dec 2019, 8:39 am   #9
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I cast a concrete plinth for my 301, I understand that concrete is rather higher in Q but I was very happy with the results.

Peter
Old 16th Dec 2019, 1:38 pm   #10
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Thanks for the replies. Joe, that is an amazingly kind offer, but I don't think I have the skills to complete the plinth. Thank you so much for the offer though, I really appreciate it.
Regards from Bill.
Old 16th Dec 2019, 5:56 pm   #11
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
I cast a concrete plinth for my 301, I understand that concrete is rather higher in Q but I was very happy with the results.

Peter
Concrete is not such a bad choice. With the right composition that would work well.

I think if I was starting from scratch rather than the Peak hifi one I have already, I think I would seriously consider Panzerholz. But I have woodworking skills so that is not as mad as it at first seems.

Craig
Old 16th Dec 2019, 6:45 pm   #12
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Craig, those Peak Hifi plinths are nice! I worry about hanging over 38 kg of slate off my red brick walls. The wood ones look nice, but they are only birch ply.
What do you guys think?
Cheers from Bill.
Old 16th Dec 2019, 7:16 pm   #13
nutteronthebus
Hexode

this guy from facebook makes a good looking one https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...epa=SEARCH_BOX
Old 16th Dec 2019, 8:08 pm   #14
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Thanks, they look cool. I like the gloss.
Bill.
Old 16th Dec 2019, 8:56 pm   #15
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Oh,smeg it that quartz model from Peak Hifi is gorgeous, and it's nearly Christmas. Let the Poverty begin!
Bill
Old 16th Dec 2019, 9:48 pm   #16
ToneArm
Pentode

My 301 had been slung in a cardboard box some time in the 1970s, before i got my hands on it 30 to 40 years later. It cleaned up a treat and after fettling works beautifully. It was missing its transport screws so I replaced the springs the motor hangs off just in case. Luckily these are well built and made to be repaired.

I put mine in a plywood plinth and then a slate one, a bit of an old snooker table I think. Hope you enjoy your 401 just as much.

Glyn
Old 16th Dec 2019, 9:58 pm   #17
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Thanks Glyn, I fetch it home on Sunday. It has an sme 3009 S2 (with removable head -shell). Quite a combo, I hope you'll agree! I am ridiculously excited it has to be said.
Bill.
Old 16th Dec 2019, 10:40 pm   #18
joebog1
Banned

I did (try and ) post pics, but apparently they didnt upload.
By finish, Bufo Bill, all it needs is the timber needs a sand and a rub with some beeswax furniture polish. ( or similar ) Three holes need be drilled for spikes to be fitted ( for accurate levelling ) These would normally be fitted into T nuts
( otherwise known as threaded inserts ) and a hole or holes need be drilled for your tone arm. Although its quite hard, slate is fairly easy to drill using tungsten tipped drills and a holesaw for the arm. It can be cut and filed with ordinary steel hacksaw blades and files. The files seem to last but the hacksaw blade will probably be dead afterwards, but they are cheap.

Now!!! try pics again.

If Bufo Bill doesnt want it, and somebody else does, its yours free but you pay freight. Im guessing, but after sending 20 kilos of transformers to Andy I know it will cost around 100 quid.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spare.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	195486   Click image for larger version

Name:	mitres.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	195487   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	195488  
Old 17th Dec 2019, 9:30 pm   #19
Bufo Bill
Heptode

Sorry Joe, I pushed the button on one from Peak Hifi last night. Someone will step in now I am sure though, it's a real beauty and a real bargain.
Thanks again from Bill.
Old 17th Dec 2019, 11:27 pm   #20
ajgriff
Nonode

Since you're clearly investing quite heavily in the 401 Bill, I'm just wondering whether or not you have a cartridge in mind for use in the SME?

Alan
Closed Thread