UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2019, 9:07 pm   #1
Michael Kay
Triode

Default Akai 4000 Series / 4000DB

Hello,

Can anyone tell me whether the Tape Selector switch on my Akai 4000DB affects playback, or is it just for record? It is hard to tell whether some tape is Low Noise or Wide Range and I'm assuming my old Grundig/BASF/EMI (shiny brown) tape is Low Noise and wondering if the back coated darker tape is Wide Range?

But if it doesn't affect playback, then it doesn't matter as much.

Michael
Old 14th Nov 2019, 1:03 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai 4000 Series / 4000DB

From the diagram, it appears that this is a record EQ tweak - I'm a little surprised because I always assumed it was bias. At all events, it doesn't affect playback.
Old 14th Nov 2019, 11:10 am   #3
Michael Kay
Triode

Thanks Ted for that.

Michael
Old 14th Nov 2019, 12:13 pm   #4
paulsherwin

It is there to support Japanese higher coercivity tapes like Maxell XL which were becoming available at the time, developed alongside cassette formulations. You should normally use the LN (low noise) setting for anything made before the mid 70s.
Old 14th Nov 2019, 12:21 pm   #5
Michael Kay
Triode

Thanks Paul. The recording of Grieg's Piano Concerto (Bavarian State Orchestra/Odd Gruner-Hegge) which I first recorded with the RCA leads and was clipping frequently throughout the digitising, which I did again yesterday using the new DIN output, resulted in a vastly better transfer, though the levels on the tape are essentially too high on the World Record Club original tape (up to a sustained +4dB for several seconds at times). I then decided to try this again today with it set to WR instead of the (expected) Low Noise which I used yesterday. I am thinking though that the off tape clipping is sounding less evident with the WR selection despite believing it to only affect record.

I shall try listening both transfers on my Hi-Fi and compare them!
Old 14th Nov 2019, 12:27 pm   #6
paulsherwin

There is certainly no harm in experimenting. Trust your ears!
Closed Thread