UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2019, 11:53 am   #1
MikeCross
Tetrode

Default Brenell MK5 M Series3

I have just acquired the above machine and roughly it works.

The electronics is a little noisy but the main problem is the suppressor units
connected across the deck switching.
The takeup motor revolves slowly when the deck is at idle showing leakage..

Can anyone recommend a suitable component to replace these suppressors.

The Brenell manual has no information at all.

Thanks
Old 24th Oct 2019, 1:54 pm   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: Brenell MK5 M Series3

I have just looked at a series 1 deck and they appear to be 0.01uf in series with 220 ohms in an encapsulated block, I doubt the values are critical but the cap needs to be mains rated, obviously.

We used to use a similar block with values of 0.1uf and 100ohms, they packed up frequently, I once had a weekend trip to Dusseldorf to fix a continual running spool motor and diagnosed the problem in 30 seconds.

On another occasion the suppressor was connected to earth and when it failed it took out the breaker for the entire electricity supply to the basement studio (no Windows).

Farnell do various types :-

https://uk.farnell.com/c/passive-com...-sup-saf-cap_7

Last edited by barrymagrec; 24th Oct 2019 at 2:08 pm. Reason: link added
Closed Thread