UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2019, 4:47 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Torx ( star bits).

I'm finding this sort of screw is fitted more frequently to newer stuff . Toolstation sell a set of bits for circa £16 and individual bits ( screwdriver holder size =25mm ) for £1.08.
Old 3rd Oct 2019, 6:16 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Torx ( star bits).

If you are going to buy one set of Torx bits or drivers then it's not a bad idea to buy the 'Security Torx' type, at least in the medium to larger sizes. Outwardly they are the same as standard Torx bits, but the security version has a hollow channel in the centre of the bit. The corresponding 'Security Torx' screw has a 'pip' or 'stud' in the centre of the hollow head which prevents a normal Torx bit from being inserted into it.

You can use a 'security Torx' bit on both the standard and 'security' versions of Torx screws, but you can't use a standard Torx bit on the 'Security' version of the screws. If you only get one set, get a 'Security Torx' set.

The only reason to prefer the standard type is that, being solid with no hollow centre, they are inherently stronger.
Old 3rd Oct 2019, 8:20 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I buy decent quality (Wiha, Wera, CK etc.) Torx screwdrivers of the size I need, when I need them, from CPC, Screwfix or wherever, thus building up a set of useful sizes.

While the sets of bits are very useful, especially in applications where fitting them into a cordless driver is a bonus, individual screwdrivers have slim shafts which can easily reach recessed screw heads, something that the bits in a hex holder often fail to do.

N.
Old 3rd Oct 2019, 11:59 pm   #4
Oldcodger
Nonode

Sirius- I have a decent set of Halfords Security Torx bits. The are in "allen key" format , but for non security use I use the screwdriver hardened type.
Old 4th Oct 2019, 7:19 pm   #5
Sinewave
Octode

I really like the tiny Bacho set for small fixings. On my work bench is the Bacho and a 1/4" Britool set. Halfords hand tools deals are also worth a look.
Old 4th Oct 2019, 7:56 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

For years I managed with just a T10 and a T20, they used to fit most of the screws I encountered in electronics. Some of the security ones seen more recently are smaller though.
Old 5th Oct 2019, 9:30 pm   #7
Oldcodger
Nonode

Similarly, Bill. I bought a security set a few years ago and it covers most sizes I'm likely to need, and it's a security set with the hole n the middle. But for those of us that don't want/need a full set, then this set at Tool station giving single sizes at a low prices is worth a look.
Old 6th Oct 2019, 2:22 pm   #8
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
Similarly, Bill. I bought a security set a few years ago and it covers most sizes I'm likely to need, and it's a security set with the hole n the middle. But for those of us that don't want/need a full set, then this set at Tool station giving single sizes at a low prices is worth a look.
The missing link....
Colin.
Old 8th Oct 2019, 11:41 am   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

This one, perhaps?

https://www.toolstation.com/security...et-75mm/p37470

I got one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50x-Extra...YAAOSwDJxdcmSO

Though it doesn't cope with small screws down a particularly small hole!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 8th Oct 2019, 1:29 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

They're widely available. These are the ones I bought, slim with quite a long reach. The smallest is solid, the pin would have to be virtually a hair's breadth!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-8-...cAAOSwXh9cWt~9
Old 9th Oct 2019, 11:32 am   #11
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
The missing link....
Colin.
Just looked back. From the catalogue in shop there seems to be various sizes of non security ones. Link to one
https://www.toolstation.com/wera-scr...orx-bit/p46139

Great if you just need one for a project rather than having to buy a set ( as I had to do to fix iron ).
Old 9th Oct 2019, 6:38 pm   #12
factory
Octode

I've just added a T9 bit from RS to my sets, if you need to service a Tek 24x5 series scope you will need this size.

David
Old 12th Oct 2019, 12:08 pm   #13
Oldcodger
Nonode

Another addition- Poundland are selling sets of bits ( from all sorts of screwdriver to torx bits) each range in a holder designed to hold a selection of bits. The Torx bits are soft, but the holder makes an ideal place to store decent quality bits. Each bit has the size marked on the outside ,making it easy to see what size you need when the cheap bit rounds.
Old 13th Oct 2019, 8:55 am   #14
stacman
Hexode

I got these from toolstation, decent for the price of common popular sizes and as a starter set ,
https://www.toolstation.com/draper-t...ver-set/p28638
Old 18th Oct 2019, 6:11 pm   #15
brunel
Heptode

CPC Security Screwdriver Bit Set 25mm, 33 Piece - D00391 £2.79 (£3.35 Inc. VAT)

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00...203?utm_medium

Usual disclaimer.
Closed Thread