UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2019, 9:23 pm   #1
OliverG
Diode

Default Grundig TK121 Stuck in Rewind

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but hoping that someone might be able to help me out with some advice.

I have a Grundig TK121 that up 'til now was been working perfectly. I used it last night for the first time in probably 18 months.

All was going fine (Stop, Pause, Start, FF), until I put it into rewind. It rewinds fine, but now the control lever is stuck and won't move (with moderate pressure) back to Stop.

Before I start pulling it apart, I'm hoping someone might be able to give me the benefit of their experience and suggest what might be causing the fault.

Any info gratefully received!

Thanks very much in advance,

Ollie
Old 12th Jun 2019, 3:55 pm   #2
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Default Re: Grundig TK121 Stuck in Rewind

There's a spring loaded detent lever with a plastic roller that's prone to disintegrate, when it does the detent lever gets in direct contact with the detent cam on the function selector shaft and jams it
Old 12th Jun 2019, 9:44 pm   #3
OliverG
Diode

That's great info thanks Jimmy.

So the answer is looking like it's to replace the roller.
Are there any hints or tips or any warnings of what not to do when taking the machine apart?

Any instruction on how to do it would be brilliant!.

Regards,

Ollie
Old 12th Jun 2019, 10:21 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

Just be very careful with what screws you undo below the upper plastic deck plate. You can make it fall to bits irreperably!
Old 13th Jun 2019, 12:21 am   #5
martin.m
Hexode

It's a good idea to take photos and make drawings of how the mechanism is arranged before you take anything apart. Pay particular attention to where the various springs are attached to.
Old 13th Jun 2019, 8:32 am   #6
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

You don't need to take the mechanism apart, the roller can be replaced by just pulling out the spring loaded detent arm far enough to get to the roller spindle, as a replacement you can use any cylindrical piece of plastic of suitable size, just look around, pens, bits of screw posts from scrap boombox cabinets etc
Old 17th Jun 2019, 12:41 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Even an old cassette pinch roller!
The 'do not remove' screws are the sealed ones on the upper sub-deck. It looks like that's what you need to remove when changing the main belt, but this throws everything out. If you need to change the belt, you feed it up through the lower capstan bearing plate.
Closed Thread