UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2016, 11:37 am   #1
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vintage TV Help!!! 1958 Bang & Olufsen

Hi! Firstly, I don´t know anything about vintage tv´s and electronics!!
I´m decoration/building my own house in 1940s-early 50´s style.
I bought a functioning(the lights up and there is snow on some channels) 1958 bang & olufsen grand prix 513.
I have a mpeg4 box which I connectet to an ebay bought modulator(see picture) and thought it would work...but it doesn´t. What to do!? Please help a vintage fanatic
Sincerely Ole Skov, Denmark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160117_10_47_40_Pro.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	118516   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160117_10_47_25_Pro.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	118517   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160117_10_50_21_Pro.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	118518  
Old 17th Jan 2016, 12:07 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Tv Help!!! 1958 bang & olufsen

Unless the TV has been restored or had repair work to solve problems that are due to aged components, that is something you will need to consider if not now certainly in the near future. In fact it could be the reason the set is not working for you.

Are you trying to receive off air TV signals or use the video and audio inputs on the modulator.

If trying off air, I thought the TV system in Denmark was digital and this modulator would not do the job.

If using the video and audio inputs you will need to match the modulator output to the same TV system that the B&O TV's was designed for, I don't know what that would be, no use me guessing.

edit. If you are feeding the modulator with mpeg4 that will not work, from the specification it appears to require a standard baseband video and audio

Frank
Old 17th Jan 2016, 12:30 pm   #3
Courtney Louise
Octode

Interesting that it's in English and Polish...

Lovely looking set though.
Old 17th Jan 2016, 12:46 pm   #4
pastyboy
Hexode

Hi, the modulator looks like a dragonsat, I understand there are several versions of which most of the ebay listing says VHF UHF but actually most are UHF 21-69. This one looks like a proper VHF / UHF one so would be interested to be given the ebay item number....

Without researching to find out all the channel allocations used by the set, you should be able to get something on the screen just as an indication the snow turning to a blank screen when the modulators output is near to the TV's selected channel.

Try turning the channel selector round a few times to clean its internal switches up a bit then on one of the low numbers is ch 1,2 or 3 if you get a snowy screen then try and select a low channel on the modulator you may find then the 2 are "matched" hardly scientific but a start

Please don't be tempted to take the back off as you risk electrocution, if anything starts to smell or smoke unplug the set !!!

please send the ebay item number if possible

Stuart
Old 17th Jan 2016, 1:55 pm   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Vintage Tv Help!!! 1958 bang & olufsen

Hi,
That's an interesting set. Not many TVs had seven PCF80s in them! It also has an FM tuner with 'U' series valves and a pick up connection. B&O always were different!
However, it is analogue and, I imagine, Danish TV is now digital. I very much doubt that there will be any sort of baseband video input.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 17th Jan 2016, 2:16 pm   #6
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

If I don´t get mine to work, you can buy that. brand new but with a cut cord. Had to change the uk or us power plug.

couldn´t I use the mpeg4 box somehow? It converts the digital signal so you can watch tv via a regular antenna.

could i use some other moderator perhaps?
Old 17th Jan 2016, 2:40 pm   #7
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
If using the video and audio inputs you will need to match the modulator output to the same TV system that the B&O TV's was designed for, I don't know what that would be, no use me guessing.

edit. If you are feeding the modulator with mpeg4 that will not work, from the specification it appears to require a standard baseband video and audio
So an aurora world with a mpeg4 would not work either?
Old 17th Jan 2016, 3:11 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

What is the video and audio out of the mpeg4 box, do you have a make/model?
Old 17th Jan 2016, 3:32 pm   #9
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

right here!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20160117_15_29_44_Pro.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	118545  
Old 17th Jan 2016, 4:54 pm   #10
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage TV Help!!! 1958 Bang & Olufsen

Ok, I understand a little more. Are you connecting the Meg4 digital receiver via the scart sockets?
If so then confirm the mpeg4 box is set to output to the scart, the modulator is set to receive input to the scart and the output channel on the modulator is set the same channel on the TV and the scart cable is a suitable one.
If you have done all this before then I don't know what is wrong unless one of the items is faulty.
Frank
Old 17th Jan 2016, 5:04 pm   #11
julie_m
Dekatron

My recommendation would be to try the MPEG4 box and modulator first with a modern TV set. You can make the set do an auto-tune and find out just where in the band the modulator output is coming. Remember, an old TV set may only be able to tune up to about 220 MHz (VHF channel 13).
Old 17th Jan 2016, 5:26 pm   #12
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

Sounds like a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
If so then confirm the mpeg4 box is set to output to the scart, the modulator is set to receive input to the scart and the output channel on the modulator is set the same channel on the TV and the scart cable is a suitable one.
is the wave bands correct? I found this about the tv. does that help at all?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20160117_17_28_38_Pro.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	118554  
Old 17th Jan 2016, 6:41 pm   #13
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The tuner will cover Bands 1 and 3 for TV and band 2 for VHF radio. Approx channel numbers for TV 1-5, about 45 to 68Mhz and 6 to 13 about 180 to 220 MHz. Those figures are not exact, depends on the channel width how many channels will fit and I don't have the exact frequencies to hand.
The specification on your first post seems to cover those channels/frequencies.
Frank

edit. I do like the comment. " Superhetrodyne ( super in general"
Old 18th Jan 2016, 3:44 am   #14
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

Okay! I followed miss Julies idea and testet the equiptment (mpeg4 box and rf modulator) with a modern tv and it worked. After a channel search there where 5 channels, with the tv signal from the mpeg4 box.
I tryed it again on the B&O but no luck. I have a suspicion that some of the potentiometers and what else is in that wooden box , needs a going over.
The two knobs on the front to adjusting the picture, they hardly work anymore. The "picture" (snow) is really dark!
Old 18th Jan 2016, 7:30 am   #15
julie_m
Dekatron

Where in the band did you find the MPEG signal? Was it a low frequency, below 220 MHz / ch.13?
Old 18th Jan 2016, 10:01 am   #16
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

At 85.25MHz? but apperently the modulator sends the signal on several bands. or? I found the mpeg4 signal on five different channels. one was at 225MHz?
It´s all greek to me, I´m a classic car guy.
Old 18th Jan 2016, 11:42 am   #17
kan_turk
Hexode

Hi - now that you have confirmed that modulator is working it's time to narrow things down a bit. What channel have you set modulator to? Range 1 to 69 available but only 2 - 12 likely to be within range of B & O - I suggest Ch2 as a start and set TV tuner knob to '2' then use fine tune knob on tuner to peak signal - hope this helps
Old 18th Jan 2016, 2:44 pm   #18
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

I seem to have another problem to take care first. the two potentiometers for "tuning" the picture, seems to have issues now. the screen is really dark on all channels and i can only instantly provoke the dials to work. so seems i have to get Danish B&O tech to overhaul it.
Old 18th Jan 2016, 3:05 pm   #19
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblers37 View Post
seems i have to get danish B&O tech to overhaul it.
I'm afraid it goes without saying that an electronic device using valves from the 1950s WILL need periodic servicing, which can be expensive. But you have got an amazing piece of history there, so it will no doubt be worth it.

Nick.
Old 18th Jan 2016, 3:18 pm   #20
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

I absolutely agree. I got it cheap and i have already found a B&O veteran! he charges 30£ per hour so if nothing much is at fault, it is still a good investment.
Closed Thread