UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2015, 6:32 pm   #1
Manthorp
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fitting a BT Plug

Hi all. I have a seventies Ericofon with a Danish three prong plug. I want to fit a standard BT Plug to the original cord. I know how it should be wired up, but the wires inside the original Ericofon cord are too floppy & slightly too fat to slide into the grooves on the BT plug. I've been trying to fit it for days, reaming out the slots inside the plug, stiffening the two Ericofon wires with superglue, but to no effect. The only way I have got a signal to and from the Ericofon was to twist the wires together with the wires emerging from a BT plug flat cable. It worked, but even soldered was very weak (the Ericofon wires have just a few strands of copper wire inside) and, of course, ugly as hell.

I don't want to replace the original cord - it's a perfectly matched mint green to the phone - but I'm despairing of fitting a BT plug. Does anybody make a two part BT plug that could be fitted around the wires? Or has anyone on this forum had a similar issue and solved it? I'm despairing of ever sorting it out. Help!
Old 11th Jun 2015, 6:47 pm   #2
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: Fitting a BT Plug

I'll tell you my way but I'll probably get lynched.

Firstly get hold of a 6-way BT plug. Cut the old line cord straight at the end then get some thin single-core wire. Cut this into bits about 5/8" long. Strip 1/4" off and push this inside one of the cores of the line cord. Do this for all three.

Now lay the remaining 3/8" bits in order and work them into the plug, it makes things easier to push down the outer two contacts before hand to stop the wires getting into those slots. A 6-way plug will odds-on be big enough for you to get the round outer sheath in and under the cord clamp.

After that push the remaining contacts and clamp down as normal.

It works for me.

- Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	109439  

Last edited by ThePillenwerfer; 11th Jun 2015 at 6:57 pm. Reason: Added Diagram.
Old 11th Jun 2015, 6:58 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

You can get rewireable BT cord plugs. They look like those double adapters but with a grommet at the bottom for the cable entry.
I can't for the life of me think where mine came from, maybe Maplin or it might even have been Exchange & Mart.
Old 11th Jun 2015, 7:10 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Is this the sort of thing you mean?
Old 11th Jun 2015, 7:23 pm   #5
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

They look like handy things, Dave.

The only snag is that I've found IDC connectors and tinsel wire do not make a happy marriage.

- Joe
Old 11th Jun 2015, 11:00 pm   #6
Manthorp
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks all for practical avenues to explore, but just as much for helping me feel I'm among friends. I'd reached a level of frustration that was silly and an overreaction to the actual importance of the issue (of course!), but it's great to be able to talk it through & receive some potential ways forward.

I will pursue them - but probably won't get back to you for a week as I'm heading off for a five days' camping in Wales on Saturday. Filthy weather almost a cert according to the weather forecast.

Thanks again, and any other suggestions also welcome.
Old 12th Jun 2015, 1:04 am   #7
Oldcodger
Nonode

I've got a simple way of rewiring 3/5/6 way plugs. Cut the cable a good distance ( 4-6" ) from the plug. For most purposes, you only need pins 2/3/5. That's Green/ Red and white on a standard cable. Strip back the outer . Then strip back a length of the colours, but leave a bit of sheath on the wires. Twist the outer and apply flux to the wire/nylon mix, then tin. The nylon will melt leaving a tinned copper mass, to which solid/ other wires can be soldered/ and insulated and make a cable as needed.
Old 12th Jun 2015, 7:14 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

It can be done!

See post 6 (and the follow-ups to it, 11 & 12) here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=34066
Old 12th Jun 2015, 1:05 pm   #9
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

The advantage of using a 6-way plug is that the old, fat line-cords will go into them.

- Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150612_130316[1].jpg
Views:	123
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	109470  
Old 12th Jun 2015, 1:32 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Never knew that, Joe. Good tip.
Old 12th Jun 2015, 4:52 pm   #11
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

It's a pity you've already cut the Danish plug off, as adapter leads are available which would have kept the phone original.
As things are, you could use a redundant microfilter as the basis of an adapter - remove the internal components and solder the cable to the appropriate points.
Closed Thread