UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2012, 12:57 am   #1
pothole
Retired Dormant Member

Default Elizabethan LZ-29

Hi I am new to the forum and apologise if this question is in the wrong section.

I have numerous old reel to reel tapes and saw a Elizabethan LZ-29 for sale which I purchased, unfortunately it only has one speed at the moment.
The guy I bought it off said he removes the back cover and manually changes the speeds. Could anyone tell me if this could be repaired easily, and any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 13th Dec 2012, 11:33 am   #2
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: Elizabethan LZ-29

Sounds like you may need to canibalise another deck for the parts if they are broken. These Collaro desks are very solid so it is probably something very simple, but whether is economically viable is another matter!

However if you practice on repairing this one you may enjoy repairing others.
Old 13th Dec 2012, 3:37 pm   #3
llama
Octode

If this is a Collaro Studio deck, there is service info for download using the link at the top-right of each Forum page. It includes complete strip-down and rebuild instructions.
It sounds repairable to me.
Graham
Old 13th Dec 2012, 4:55 pm   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Elizabethan LZ-29

I owned one of these many, many years ago (mid-1960s) and if my memory serves me correctly, the arrangements for the speed changing (3-speeds) are purely mechanical with the usual belts and rubber pulleys. Sounds to me like a mechanical linkage has failed (broken, disconnected) or, more likely, where the mechanics need a thorough de-grease and a re-lube.

Once you've got it up and running, if you find that it is very weak on playback, it will probably need a replacement rec./play head (Marriott), since by now, I suspect that that head - if original - has had a great deal of tape across its face! The felt pressure pads will probably need replacing too.

Al.
Old 13th Dec 2012, 7:20 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I seem to recall a problem with the mechanical linkage on these machines, as Al (skywave) mentions, but having had around five of them over the years I can only recall one instance of this.

However you may be lucky and find that the problem is nothing more than the speed change knob which have a habit of breaking.

I have actually seen the machine you mention myself and, to be fair, looking at the write up, I would suspect that the speed change issue is more than just the knob being broken.

Regards

Andrew
Closed Thread