UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2012, 12:11 pm   #1
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hard drives.

Been forced to look round for a couple of hard drives recently .What I've noticed is that despite prices going up due to the flooding,there's a lot of almost new drives on the market ( one name is "clean pull" -advertised as being out of built PCs .Presumably the makers can't sell at this moment .Guarantees vary as does price .Sizes are from approx 80B down ( but larger are about) .I spotted one today at £4.99 ( WD 80GB) .Postage tkes it up to £8.99.Don't know what rules on naming -so won't ,but if anyone's interested -PM.I got one earlier -80GB WD Caviare for less than £15 .

Been forced to look round for a couple of hard drives recently. What I've noticed is that despite prices going up due to the flooding ,there's a lot of almost new drives on the market. One name is "Clean Pull", advertised as being pulls from PCs which resumably the makers can't sell at this moment. Guarantees vary as does price. Sizes are from approx 80GB down, but there are larger ones about. I spotted one today at £4.99 (WD 80GB). Postage takes it up to £8.99. Don't know what the rules are on naming suppliers, so I won't. If anyone's interested PM me. I got one earlier, an 80GB WD Caviare, for less than £15.
Old 12th Feb 2012, 12:20 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: hard drives

An 80GB PATA drive is likely to be quite old, though it may still be perfectly serviceable of course.

The problem with buying any secondhand drive is you are taking a risk. The age and usage history of the drive is usually unknown - it may have been in a server and run 24/7 for the last 8 years, or it may be an unused spare from a store cupboard. Some sellers are downright dishonest and sell known faulty drives as working.

They are OK if you don't mind taking a gamble though. I've bought a few drives like this.
Old 12th Feb 2012, 12:51 pm   #3
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: hard drives

One place I've seen them offered at around £20 for an 80GB is a major seller ,but with a year warranty -other places ,price varies as warranty . One I got passed a Powermax burn in test -but these days I find that certain makes only last a couple of years .Thought the smaller ( older ones ) might be of some use to folks running older/vintage PCs .

One place I've seen them offered at around £20 for an 80GB is a major seller, but with a year warranty. Other places, price varies as warranty. One I got passed a Powermax burn in test , but these days I find that certain makes only last a couple of years. Thought the smaller, older ones, might be of some use to folks running older/vintage PCs.
Old 12th Feb 2012, 1:55 pm   #4
Alistair D
Nonode

Default Re: Hard drives.

I have a virtually unused 80GB Maxtor parallel (IDE) drive here that I will never use again. It is yours for the cost of postage. PM me if you are interested.

Al
Old 12th Feb 2012, 2:55 pm   #5
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the offer, but I've replaced the faulty drives and all is, almost, back to normal. Would seem to me like greed to accept, though it might be of some use to someone else.
Old 18th Feb 2012, 5:35 pm   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Hard drives.

Alistair D: I have sent you a P.M.

Al. / Feb. 18th., 2012 //
Old 18th Feb 2012, 10:50 pm   #7
Alistair D
Nonode

I should have posted this earlier. The drive now has a new owner. Thanks for all the interest.

Al