UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2005, 8:10 am   #1
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Default Ampex 602 parts wanted

I know I shouldnt be buying so many machines but I cant help myself

I won this machine recently and need some parts for it, I wonder if anyone can help. I am looking for a pair of reel clamps and a mains lead, I have not got the machine yet to take better pics of that mains lead is needed but it would probably be a American 2-pin, the pins are about 3/4" apart.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 10:27 pm   #2
shawthing
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Ampex 602 parts wanted

Hello reel-to-reel-man, thought I'd posted this earlier, doesn't seem to be there,

****** OFF-TOPIC STUFF DELETED ******

(And apologies for hi-jacking your thread to ask you a question! )

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 24th Nov 2005 at 10:37 pm. Reason: Off-topic
Old 24th Nov 2005, 10:36 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Ampex 602 parts wanted

Your previous post was deleted by a moderator for being off-topic. This one is off-topic too (as you know with your comment about hijacking a thread), so I have deleted most of it.

You may post a new thread for your enquiry - but first please READ THE FORUM RULES at https://www.vintage-radio.net/rules.html.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 24th Nov 2005 at 10:39 pm.
Old 27th Nov 2005, 8:15 pm   #4
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Cheers Paul, back on topic, when I collected the machine the guy had two reel clamps, also I managed to remove the splice block, still some glue but its very difficult to get off, if I steam it it comes off slowly, label remover will not budge it ether, any ideas? I also repaired the faulty meter which was reading high but couldn't be reset, still need help on a mains plug.

http://www.vintagerecorders.co.uk/seb/602.jpg
Old 28th Nov 2005, 2:23 pm   #5
shawthing
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Ampex 602 parts wanted

Hello reel-to-reel-man, staying firmly on topic this time (apologies for earlier! ), re. the glue, have you tried freezing spray? It might make the glue brittle enough to be gently chipped away with a razor blade or scalpel. Alternatively, I've removed glue from paintwork very successfully in the past by slowly working my way one at a time through a variety of chemical solvents (WD40, Fospro, acetone, Switchklene, isopropyl alcohol etc), testing each one on an out-of-sight bit of paintwork first of course, until I've hit one that happens to deal with that particular substance. Re. mains lead, there's a sizeable community of Ampex users (including many ex-company employees) in the States - have you tried the Ampex List (Web page: http://recordist.com/ampex/) as they might know a source for leads...).

Hope this helps, best wishes, Chas

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 29th Nov 2005 at 12:40 am. Reason: Fixed link
Old 28th Nov 2005, 8:29 pm   #6
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Dead link

http://recordist.com/ampex/

The glue I can get off by holding the head cover over the kettle, heating it up and pick the glue off with my nails whilst screaming in pain do not want to use a blade as you can to too far. I have removed about 60% of the glue now.
Old 28th Nov 2005, 8:38 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by reel-to-reel-man
The glue I can get off by holding the head cover over the kettle, heating it up and pick the glue off with my nails whilst screaming in pain.
A thought occurs - if you are willing to sacrifice a "marigold" type glove, you could snip off the tip of a finger (of the glove, that is) to expose just the nail you use to scrape the glue whilst giving some degree of protection to the rest of your hand.
Old 28th Nov 2005, 11:39 pm   #8
shawthing
Retired Dormant Member

Well - something about how I typed the link has indeed killed it - but, if you click on the link where you quoted it in your reply, it works! (Go figure!). It takes you to the Ampex Virtual Museum (a fascinating site in itself, if you haven't been there before) and there are links to join the Ampex list there; you can subscribe to get a daily digest of posts; between that and the yahoo reeltoreel list, I learn a lot every day!
Old 29th Nov 2005, 12:41 am   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I've fixed the link - it had some javascript with it, probably due to copying it from somewhere else.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 29th Nov 2005, 12:54 am   #10
shawthing
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Paul - if anyone hasn't had a look at the Ampex Museum site, I'd highly recommend it, als for early video interest....
Old 29th Nov 2005, 7:11 am   #11
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Cheers, interesting site, well worth the visit
Closed Thread