UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Apr 2010, 5:03 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Richard Russell Test Card Generator

BrianC very kindly gave me one of these to be used at the Vintage Wireless Museum. It is working fine, with 405 line TCC. however, I would like to reprogram it and that's where the problems start. I've downloaded the software from the website http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/ and installed it. After the usual mucking about with RS232 wiring it was happy with the connection. The problem is I can't get it to erase the flash, necessary before reprogramming it. I've emailed Richard and I hope he'll have the answer but I thought it would do no harm to consult the experts here.

System details:
Windows XPsp3
Pentium P4 2.4GHz with 512MB RAM
serial port COM1
TCGEN 3.2d

Symptoms:
Generator>Check says OK. If I try to erase or reprogram the erase fails. The progress bar takes about 15s to reach the end. Then there is a wait of perhaps 30s, then it says "erase failed".

Are there any specific requirements for the RS232 lead that I may have missed - I've just connected pins 2 and 3? Any other ideas?
Old 14th Apr 2010, 6:04 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Richard Russell Test Card Generator

Hello Jeffrey,

RS232 gives more problems than you'd think for any system which is basically two wires.

One obvious point is, have you cross connected (pin 3 - pin 2, pin 3 - pin2)?

I've appended the standard connections for both without handshake and with handshake.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rs232d.gif
Views:	111
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	34488   Click image for larger version

Name:	rs232e.gif
Views:	116
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	34489  
Old 14th Apr 2010, 6:09 pm   #3
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Jeffrey,

Could be that your PC is too quick!

Certainly an issue when programming radios via RS232/RIB interfaces.....

Sean
Old 14th Apr 2010, 6:16 pm   #4
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Sean may be right.

Try setting the Baud rate to the minimum setting.

At work I've used some really fancy smart cameras for image recognition applications. These are very expensive bits of kit but they won't re-flash at anything over 9600.
Old 14th Apr 2010, 6:51 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I had to cross over pins 2 and 3 compared to how my cable was originally wired. Then at least it connected and the 2 TX drivers weren't fighting. It might be worth doing experiments with handshake.

Since the software can access the serial port in XP it must have a properly written driver (is this called real mode driver or something like that?) and will presumably look after the speed too. There's no menu setting for baud rate.

Looking inside the box, there is an RS232 chip but no UART that I can see. There is a Xilinx 9536 CPLD which may contain some kind of deserialising logic. I suppose it's doing some kind of bit bashing on the flash chip to program it so timings will matter to some extent.
Old 14th Apr 2010, 8:15 pm   #6
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I have had my RT Russell for 7 years at least, i use a standard lead connected to my serial port, the PC is quite old though and has a 2200 AMD processor, I have never had any problems re-programming mine!
I would be quite happy to check and test yours Jeffrey and re-programme yours and if you have a particular picture you can E-mail it or send it on a disc.
These units are very good and mine is used on a regular basis, one gripe they do produce a lot of harmonics that radiate a fair distance.
Old 14th Apr 2010, 8:48 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Had a probe around inside mine and looked at the RS232 chip data sheet. Looks like the handshake is being used in some way so I'l lhave to make up a lead with the handshake pins wired. M to F with no crossover as far as I can tell.

PS: Looks like pin 1 of the RS232 is connected to something too so I think I'd better find some 9 way cable and wire the lot just to be sure.

PPS: If it's going to be used at the museum I might have to make it a tinfoil hat to reduce the harmonics. Or maybe build it into a diecast box, complete with PSU.

Last edited by ppppenguin; 14th Apr 2010 at 9:03 pm.
Old 14th Apr 2010, 10:11 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

All working! Just made a fully wired cable and it solved the problem.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 15th Apr 2010, 11:39 am   #9
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Job done. I've buiilt the generator and a wall wart into a diecast box. Used an EP4 mains inlet so that it will plug directly on to the cables that were used for the monoscope.

The purists here will object to the way I conencted mains from the EP4 to wall wart. Just soldered the wires on to the 13A pins. I did use some sleeving.
Closed Thread